Battery charge

ahaviland-ME
This post is 5436 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

SO about two months ago, my bike, a 1976 xs 360, broke down and my battery showed almost no charge. The battery was fairly new, but I didn't rule it out as a possible problem. My friend Jon had told me that the trickle charge that exists via the stator/regulator/rectifier may be out of wack, but that the stator going on a 36 year old bike with 26000 miles on it was unlikely. We replaced the battery with a brand new one which seemingly fixed the problem but all I ended up doing was wasting 50 bucks for a spare battery I didn't need. Does anyone know what would be the most probable reason for that trickle charge to not be occurring. I'm looking for a cheap, easy fix on this one, but The bike IS my only form of transportation for the time, being that I am away from home at school. So, should I look into a new Regulator, a new stator, a new rectifier? Is there something I may be able to clean/ alter to get this problem fixed? PLEASE let me know

-stuck at school with tools, but no solution

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi,

Your bike's charging output is much more than a trickle charge. Usually about 5-8 amps.

On an old bike you should always check your wiring joiners and terminals. They are prone to corrode and will build up resistance. Just pull all electrical plugs and wire joiners apart and clean both sides with a fine wire wool or similar. There are also products available to help keep these connections clean.

Your regulator is the next most likely unit to fail have it checked out by an auto electrician, a five minute job.

Invest in a cheap multimeter (about $10-15) this can be used to check your voltage output, faulty connections and much more. Just read directions, it's very simple.

Japanese electrics are usually very good but as the bike gets older dirty connectors are usually the main problem.

Regards.

SO about two months ago, my bike, a 1976 xs 360, broke down and my battery showed almost no charge. The battery was fairly new, but I didn't rule it out as a possible problem. My friend Jon had told me that the trickle charge that exists via the stator/regulator/rectifier may be out of wack, but that the stator going on a 36 year old bike with 26000 miles on it was unlikely. We replaced the battery with a brand new one which seemingly fixed the problem but all I ended up doing was wasting 50 bucks for a spare battery I didn't need. Does anyone know what would be the most probable reason for that trickle charge to not be occurring. I'm looking for a cheap, easy fix on this one, but The bike IS my only form of transportation for the time, being that I am away from home at school. So, should I look into a new Regulator, a new stator, a new rectifier? Is there something I may be able to clean/ alter to get this problem fixed? PLEASE let me know

-stuck at school with tools, but no solution

Hi

if you have a volt meter then check the voltage across the battery terminals at about 4k this should give you in excess of 13.5V if not I would go for the rectifier (those 3 whites, red & black) did tend to give problems when the bikes were new !

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online