XS400 Stopping Power

paultsmith
This post is 5436 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just buttoned up my XS400, turning it into a cafe racer.

I am a little concerned about the stopping power. It doesn't come close to stopping on a dime, and I was wondering what componenet is most likely responsible for this. I can really pull on the brake lever and it won't lock up, perhaps I have ABS :)

I am sure I have the air bleeded from the system.

I also put it in new brake pads and replaced the seals in the caliper

What should I replace to get some more stopping power, brake lines, rotors, piston, cylinder reservoir?

I was thinking it may be my brake line, as it is the original and after placing some lower bars I need to snake the line around quite a bit.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

braided lines are goo, but you must also ensure that the master cylinder seals are efficient.

you also need to make sure every air is bled from the system, try zip tying the brake lever on overnight!!

you can always convert to twin disk like moi!!!

braided lines are goo, but you must also ensure that the master cylinder seals are efficient.

you also need to make sure every air is bled from the system, try zip tying the brake lever on overnight!!

you can always convert to twin disk like moi!!!

Thanks,

I haven't rebuilt the master cylinder. I just thought everything was fine since it wasnt leaking, but perhaps the internal seals are not great.

Perhaps that is the way to go, but for the price of the rebuild kit I think I might just buy the entire cylinder, $20 for the kit and $70 for the entire control. Besides my reservoir diaphragm is on its way out and the metal retainer is starting to rust.

Should I be concerned at all with the caliper piston, there was some slight rust on the outside portion that makes contact with the pads. I cleaned it up and it seems to be fine, but woulld this hinder performance?

I also have a rear drum brake. I replaced the pads, however it is very poor also at braking, perhaps just how it is or should I scuff up the drum with some sandpaper for improvements.

Thanks,

I haven't rebuilt the master cylinder. I just thought everything was fine since it wasnt leaking, but perhaps the internal seals are not great.

Perhaps that is the way to go, but for the price of the rebuild kit I think I might just buy the entire cylinder, $20 for the kit and $70 for the entire control. Besides my reservoir diaphragm is on its way out and the metal retainer is starting to rust.

Should I be concerned at all with the caliper piston, there was some slight rust on the outside portion that makes contact with the pads. I cleaned it up and it seems to be fine, but woulld this hinder performance?

I also have a rear drum brake. I replaced the pads, however it is very poor also at braking, perhaps just how it is or should I scuff up the drum with some sandpaper for improvements.

Is there a way to know if I need to rebuild my master cylinder? I can squeeze the lever and it feels fine and is moving the piston/

Is there a way to know if I need to rebuild my master cylinder? I can squeeze the lever and it feels fine and is moving the piston/

check down the boot area with the lever out it should be dry!! the only other way is to strip and being quite old now, water ingress may have corroded the bore!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online