Had charger on battery, gas tank touched it, sparks flew, now weak battery...

78XS400
This post is 5431 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Like title says, I had the charger on my battery and moved the gas tank on top (I know) went to start the bike and it started but as soon as it did the gas tank shifted and sparks flew from the terminals and the bike died, I still have spark but the battery is VERY weak now and it wont turn over for very long before dieing. Did I fry me battery or something else? It wont start now either. Also all turn signals are still bright along with the break light, someone help me out please...

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Like title says, I had the charger on my battery and moved the gas tank on top (I know) went to start the bike and it started but as soon as it did the gas tank shifted and sparks flew from the terminals and the bike died, I still have spark but the battery is VERY weak now and it wont turn over for very long before dieing. Did I fry me battery or something else? It wont start now either. Also all turn signals are still bright along with the break light, someone help me out please...

does the bike have a main power fuse if it does you could check that if that ain't it try a new battery and hope you don't need a voltage regulator

does the bike have a main power fuse if it does you could check that if that ain't it try a new battery and hope you don't need a voltage regulator

It does but it did not blow, I finally got the bike started and its putting out a good voltage to power everything, I think I may have fried a cell in the battery as it does not last as long as it used to.

Maybe you hurt the battery but I suspect everything is just fine. If the battery voltage is too low, the relays that work the turn signals won't break back and forth and thus the lights stay on full time. After you charge the battery that problem should go away.

Maybe you hurt the battery but I suspect everything is just fine. If the battery voltage is too low, the relays that work the turn signals won't break back and forth and thus the lights stay on full time. After you charge the battery that problem should go away.

Yea battery is not holding a good charge, I get about 30 seconds of cranking before it dies

Yea battery is not holding a good charge, I get about 30 seconds of cranking before it dies

A battery that was just barely good can be killed by a short like that. The batteries for the XS400's are pretty cheap, and it's a quick fix.

A battery that was just barely good can be killed by a short like that. The batteries for the XS400's are pretty cheap, and it's a quick fix.

Well it was not the battery, the short drained the battery so I stuck a charger on it for 2 hours and put 70 miles on the bike today and the 7 different times I needed it to start it started fine. Thanks for the help guys.