Loose Chain

alec2507
This post is 5443 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Does having a slightly loose chain affect the power on a yb100,

Hi Alec,

not really just makes the gear change sloopy & the ears ring as the chain hits the chain guard.... An over tight chain will cause some power loss (amongst other things ).

Regards Jim

Hi Alec,

not really just makes the gear change sloopy & the ears ring as the chain hits the chain guard.... An over tight chain will cause some power loss (amongst other things ).

Regards Jim

Thanks Jim,

Its not overly loose just i think i read somewhere on here that someone had problems due to a loose chain, i do have about an inch of play though so i might have a go at tightening it later, am i right in saying it should be about 2cm of play in neutral or have i been told wrong,

cheers alec

Thanks Jim,

Its not overly loose just i think i read somewhere on here that someone had problems due to a loose chain, i do have about an inch of play though so i might have a go at tightening it later, am i right in saying it should be about 2cm of play in neutral or have i been told wrong,

cheers alec

Hi Alec,

dont forget to adjust the chain at its 'tight spot' if adjusted elsewhere the 2cm deflection could be zero at the tight spot dependant on how worn the transmission is. If you are a heavy person/ride 2 up it may be worth putting some extra slack in the chain as it will over tighten with the weight or adjusting the chain while sat on the bike (off the stand) in order to obtain the correct tension. If your sat on the bike when the adjustment is made (still at the tight spot) you could have deflection of say 1 cm instead

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online