FZR Ignition coils

vic-fzr600
This post is 5445 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi folks.

Can anyone help me please - been told to check the ignition coils are working alright on my FZR600.

But to be honest I'm not sure how to do this (mechanical side is more my thing).

Can anyone advise please?

Thanks

Vic

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi folks.

Can anyone help me please - been told to check the ignition coils are working alright on my FZR600.

But to be honest I'm not sure how to do this (mechanical side is more my thing).

Can anyone advise please?

Thanks

Vic

Hi Vic,

whats wrong with the bike ? are you sure the coils are acting up ?

Regards Jim

I've had an ongoing problem for a while, see my other posts for full details.

Filled the tank one morning on way to work, had problems since. Feels like running off a cylinder, way down on power, wont idle.

Cleaned out fuel system, from tank thru to carbs, cleaned jets out too. Also changed the plugs.

But didnt help. Someone suggested checking the coils but i'm not sure how.

Any help greatly received cos i'm stuck!

Perhaps there is something rubbing under the tank? We have a coil tester at work so a bike shop close to you should be able to check them. They also have a primary resistance and a secondary resistance. This is measured in ohms and you will need to find out the specs from a dealer unless someone here knows. Main coils seldom fail. Maybe you have a fouled spark plug?

Perhaps there is something rubbing under the tank? We have a coil tester at work so a bike shop close to you should be able to check them. They also have a primary resistance and a secondary resistance. This is measured in ohms and you will need to find out the specs from a dealer unless someone here knows. Main coils seldom fail. Maybe you have a fouled spark plug?

Have swopped the plugs for a new set.

I'm just running through options that people suggest, that why i was going to check coils.

Bike now harder to start than previously, doesnt make much effort to fire.

think i'll strip fuel system out & then clean jets again, try adjusting fuel mixture too.

then time to check spark on each cylinder.

someone else suggested a CDI problem, but again i'm unsure how i could identify that to be the problem

I've had an ongoing problem for a while, see my other posts for full details.

Filled the tank one morning on way to work, had problems since. Feels like running off a cylinder, way down on power, wont idle.

Cleaned out fuel system, from tank thru to carbs, cleaned jets out too. Also changed the plugs.

But didnt help. Someone suggested checking the coils but i'm not sure how.

Any help greatly received cos i'm stuck!

Hi Vic,

where are your other posts ? or should I just run through all your posts ?

Regards Jim

Check out general area, link as below.

All opinions welcome!

http://www.yamahaclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15519

Hi Vic,

had a look see and that smells of CDI/Geni .. poping bulbs is normaly the VR but if the Geni is supplying too much current it will tend to 'upset' other electrical bits ... Another cuase of bulb poping is a break in the loam at the point where the loom work hardens (around the ign switch & yoke) ... think of the electrics as water pipes if you crease one pressure builds up behind the crease & does damage to the washers/taps before the crease through pressure build up (in this case current build up) which in turn may damage the componets before the break. I would guess you should do a structured check on the wiring and checks on the boxes (CDI/TCI etc) so they can be discounted then work from there !

Regards Jim

Hi Vic,

had a look see and that smells of CDI/Geni .. poping bulbs is normaly the VR but if the Geni is supplying too much current it will tend to 'upset' other electrical bits ... Another cuase of bulb poping is a break in the loam at the point where the loom work hardens (around the ign switch & yoke) ... think of the electrics as water pipes if you crease one pressure builds up behind the crease & does damage to the washers/taps before the crease through pressure build up (in this case current build up) which in turn may damage the componets before the break. I would guess you should do a structured check on the wiring and checks on the boxes (CDI/TCI etc) so they can be discounted then work from there !

Regards Jim

Thanks Jim, your knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Could this cause the mechanical problems?

How can i confirm that the CDI is the problem?

Sorry for the questions & being a bit of a dumbass!!

Thanks Jim, your knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Could this cause the mechanical problems?

How can i confirm that the CDI is the problem?

Sorry for the questions & being a bit of a dumbass!!

Hi Vic,

if the electrical side of the bike is in disarray there is a chance the ignition circut will supply sparks at the wrong time (timming out) which in turn will make the bike noisey and perform badly what mechanical problems do you have ?

Regards Jim

I have not read everything posted on this but have you checked compression? Will it start if you use starting fluid or something like that.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online