Painting XT550 frame help please!

cookie
This post is 5467 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am restoring an XT550, which has a dry sump and the oil tank in the frame.

I need to paint the frame, and previously had bikes plastic coated, but am worried that sand blasting before coating will get in the frame and hence into the oil.

Has anyone successfully blasted/plastic coated a similar frame, or if not can recommend a red colour paint to paint it with instead?

Thanks Nick

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

erm, if it has a seperate tank in the frame can you not strip it down to the bare frame and remove the tank/plastics, then sand blast the frame and have it powder coated?

you should give the frame a final prep before coating anyway to get rid of excess sand/dirt

Tank is built into the frame itself as an integral part, i.e. the two top halves of the frame welded together and the headstock welded to them, so is not removeable, and has three pipe connection and the oil filler cap.

If the sand blaster does not seal it properly and sand gets in it will be impossible to flush it out 100% and hence minus 1 engine!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online