Help with R1 forks

tommyTRI
This post is 5462 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I need to remove the fork bottoms on my r1 1998 4xv forks.

There appears to be a screw on each leg but i'm not sure if i need a special tool, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Tony

hi, you need a 6 or 8mm long reach allen key , prefereably one you can use on a air gun to spin the bolts out, this will allow the tops and bottoms to be separated,

I need to remove the fork bottoms on my r1 1998 4xv forks.

There appears to be a screw on each leg but i'm not sure if i need a special tool, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Tony

Thanks for the reply. There appears to be a torx screw on the side of each leg, do i have to remove this as well.

Thanks for the reply. There appears to be a torx screw on the side of each leg, do i have to remove this as well.

i dont remember seeing a torx screw ,,, u dont need to remove it, are you doing fork seals or something..

i dont remember seeing a torx screw ,,, u dont need to remove it, are you doing fork seals or something..

I need to remove the fork bottoms because they are damaged. the screw i am refering to is about 5mm and its on the inside of each fork bottom. It looks like a torx screw, i've tried all my bits and none fit.