Filler cap lock very stiff and sticky?

cmorrison
This post is 5480 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I have recently bought an r125. I was filling it up for the first time today, and discovered that the filler lock is very stiff and 'sticky' feeling inside. It does not look on the outside as though it has been glued, but I guess I can't rule that out, does anyone have any advice on how to clean/lube the lock mechanism?

TIA,

Cameron

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Cameron,

Get some WD40 and give it a good blast in the lock. Put key in and work the lock until it frees up. Now open the filler and angle so that the WD40 can drain out with any crud it's removed. Repeat again and then finish of by putting a drop of oil down the barrel to lube it working it in the mechanisim with the key.

Hey presto it should be fine

Jim

Ordinarily, I'd let this pass, but I'm going to say a big NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

If the cap comes completely off, remove it and do the work like that.

Else hinge it open and cover the petrol hole with something.

Now....

Nip up to Maplin or PC World or summat and get yourself one of those cans of compressed air for blowing dust out of keyboards.

Use this on the lock to blow as much crap out of the keyway.

Now apply some lubricant, but instead of WD40, use Graphite Grease - Most lock shops, security shops and many internet places will sell you some.

This stuff is designed to work with locks and aid the mechanisms, whereas WD40 can trap dirt and damage the lock.

No disrespect to Jim as WD40 will work, but Graphite Grease is far better in this instance.

I think you will find graphite grease will trap far more dirt! The idea of WD40 is to remove the dirt from the lock not lube it. Most of the dirt will be engrained in so a blast of air I doubt will be suffient. Maybe both together but for this defo remove cap because crap will be flying everywhere. I would advise a drop of engine oil, again as not to trap to much crap, as a lube for the lock. But hey everyone does things differently. Good luck

Jim

WD works well on grit, but some of the really greasy crap that bikes pick up will not wash out. You need a very fine-particled, dry lube.

Graphite Grease will do this as well as lubing the mechanism.

That's why it's used by many locksmiths and locksporters as opposed to WD40.

WD is a lot less messy, though!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online