XJ600N troubles

asmudgexj600
This post is 5385 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hiya, newbie here,

I've had my bike a couple of months, I think the guy who had it before was a bit of pratt and botch-job merchant.

I just took the tank off my xj600 to see why it was dripping oil when hot, wnadered if anyone could help.

OK, firstly the oil drippage was from the where the 'drain hose from the left side of the air cleaner housing' should be, but on mine theres no hose, the oil just drips right out of the stubby tube that pokes out.

When I took the filter out, there was oil in bottom of the air box, what I can't work out is how it got there.

When I disconnected both the tubes that come out of a t-shapes piece that comes out of the bottom of the air box, they were both a bit gunked up with oil that had gone thick and white (i think thats because of water and I hadnt run the bike for a while) One is called the 'large-bore crankcase hose' and the other 'drain hose'

When I took the air box off, the carburettors looked clean and oil-free (the oil that has been pissing out of the air box is black or dark brown)

When I went to disconnect the fuel tank, where the instructions (in the Hayes manual) tell me to 'pull the breather line off the tank stub', there was no breather line, its already been taken off, and by all accounts doesn't exist.

Finally, the vacuum line goes to the 'manifold stub' is just a short piece of hose with what looks like a bold comming out of the other end (imagine of the head of an allen bolt was up the hose, with the threat sticking out), I don't know if its supposed to be like that, of its another botch job.

LOTS of info there, sorry, but I really want to fox this problem, because its stops me doing anything more a small commute. I've got a new oil filter, and oil, but want to try and fix the problem before I do an oil filter change.

Can any engine boffins make any sense of this?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

...ok, maybe a its not potentially as straigtfoward as I'd hoped.

Different question: I read somewhere in post that someone had called Yamaha UK to ask about his Dragstar. Is there a number you can just call to get mechanical advice without having to pay a garage for a consult?

• 3 months later...

Hiya, newbie here,

I've had my bike a couple of months, I think the guy who had it before was a bit of pratt and botch-job merchant.

I just took the tank off my xj600 to see why it was dripping oil when hot, wnadered if anyone could help.

OK, firstly the oil drippage was from the where the 'drain hose from the left side of the air cleaner housing' should be, but on mine theres no hose, the oil just drips right out of the stubby tube that pokes out.

When I took the filter out, there was oil in bottom of the air box, what I can't work out is how it got there.

When I disconnected both the tubes that come out of a t-shapes piece that comes out of the bottom of the air box, they were both a bit gunked up with oil that had gone thick and white (i think thats because of water and I hadnt run the bike for a while) One is called the 'large-bore crankcase hose' and the other 'drain hose'

When I took the air box off, the carburettors looked clean and oil-free (the oil that has been pissing out of the air box is black or dark brown)

When I went to disconnect the fuel tank, where the instructions (in the Hayes manual) tell me to 'pull the breather line off the tank stub', there was no breather line, its already been taken off, and by all accounts doesn't exist.

Finally, the vacuum line goes to the 'manifold stub' is just a short piece of hose with what looks like a bold comming out of the other end (imagine of the head of an allen bolt was up the hose, with the threat sticking out), I don't know if its supposed to be like that, of its another botch job.

LOTS of info there, sorry, but I really want to fox this problem, because its stops me doing anything more a small commute. I've got a new oil filter, and oil, but want to try and fix the problem before I do an oil filter change.

Can any engine boffins make any sense of this?

Hi,

I also have this issue and wonder if you found a solution for it?

Thanks

Hi,

I also have this issue and wonder if you found a solution for it?

Thanks

the 'breather with the bolt in it is a common 'fix' on the Div, I've seen it on other models of bike also, if you take all the hoses off-note where they all go- having a 'heinous' manual helps' and give them a thorough clean with parafin or something similair(not petrol !) then put back together, replace any missing hoses while your at it, think the blockage may be causing 'vacuum' at the top end, hence the oily filter-which you'll have to replace zwell, hope this helps :)

the 'breather with the bolt in it is a common 'fix' on the Div, I've seen it on other models of bike also, if you take all the hoses off-note where they all go- having a 'heinous' manual helps' and give them a thorough clean with parafin or something similair(not petrol !) then put back together, replace any missing hoses while your at it, think the blockage may be causing 'vacuum' at the top end, hence the oily filter-which you'll have to replace zwell, hope this helps :)