still having carb issues

74tx500
This post is 5491 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i have a 1982 virago 750. and well when i bought it. it had aftermarket pipes and such. well i re-jeted the carbs for the pipes(last owners didn't). well even before the jet work it idled on one cyclinder(rear). well now that i jeted it it runs like poop and well since me and carb don't mix too well anymore i'm at a loss what to do. i check compression and the non-idling cyclinder has more compression the the one that does work. i checked for a valve being too tight. the intke valve was a tad too tight but not by much. if i mess with the syncronizing screw the front cyclinder starts to work a little but then the rear starts to die out. the after a few seconds the bike stalls vapor locks and won't start .and well i've tried to dump it off at a few bike shops by me and well they do the "virago! we don't service those anymore".

any thoughts? what would happen if i tried to set it up for one carb? would it work?.i want to keep the bike for maybe 3 years and then get something with fuel injection!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

well anyone have a idea? i got it back to a setting so it will run but back fires on decell and at idle sometimes. i know it's running rich. i'm just fed up with carbs not working right.

sounds lean to me, try richening the pilots out a bit.

gas so put a link to a carb tune (its for xs650 but info can be used for all carbs)

look under classics and pinned "xs400 links"

drewps

well i found that if i adjust the throttle stop for the rear cyclinder i can get the front to work. i have a feeling someone turned up the rear cyclinder so it would idle good. it may just need a good sync job and that's all. i set the pilot screws the the setting in the dynojet instructions. and it idles on both cyclinders(rear is stronger than the front). and doesn't back fire as much if not at all. i'll have to make more adjustments after i get my new intake boots and such. just happy i got it running better!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online