How can I put 6 quarts of oil into my 535 Virago???

MarkD
This post is 5492 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

OK, so my battery wasn't charging and my mechanic tested my 1987 Virago 535 and suggested the stator and regulator/rectifier needed to be replaced. I got the manual and aftermarket parts online and decided to try it myself.

I drained the oil, about 3 quarts worth and I let it drip dry. I pulled out the oil filter and replaced it, replaced the rubber seal and reseated the cover. Put the drain plug back in. Then I pulled the alternator cover off, removed the excess remnants of the previous gasket, replaced the stator and put everything back in place. Replaced the alternator cover, which was hard, but once I finally got it, I felt pretty sure that everything was in place and well sealed.

I measured the torque on EVERY single nut and bolt. I was slow and methodical. I was quite proud when I finished. I filled it up with 3 Quarts of 10w40, but it didn't appear to be full. So I added another quart. Still not full. Then I added 2 more. Still not full! I put in a total of 6 quarts and as far as I can tell, the engine is not full. The capacity is supposed to be 3 quarts according to the spec.

There is no oil on the ground. I am VERY confused and afraid there are 3 quarts of oil in a bad place. What am I doing wrong?

By the way, I am putting the oil directly into the alternator case through what I believe is the oil opening. I'm 90% sure I'm putting it in the right place. Would love your help. Thanks.

Mark

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

pt 1 - when you replace the oil drain plug, it's advisable to change the copper washer with a brand new one

pt2 - when you replace the oil filter, it will require a *little* more oil (not double though!)

pt3 - When you put the oil in, it's cold so won't flow around the engine easily (through the new filter, or upwards - as the oil filler point isnt the highest point of the engine)

Solution? - After putting your measured amount of oil in, start the engine and let it run for a few seconds, the turn it off and check again (if this isn't possible stick it in first gear and turn the rear wheel by hand). This should help you get a better reading of the new oil level.

has this helped?

Good point, I should have made that clearer.

When I said

After putting your measured amount of oil in

I meant your 3 quarts and no more.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have an old Haynes manual which is what threw me off. Chapter 1 Section 12 is about changing the Final Drive Oil and Section 13 is about changing the Engine Oil. I printed the pages for Seciton 13 and it has some of Section 12 on it.

I followed the directions under Oil Change but didn't see that it was for the Final Drive Oil. :) No wonder the pictures didn't look right on that page, but made more sense on the next page!

Fortunately, I sensed something was wrong and did NOT start the engine. I am going to drain it down to the window. Amazingly, Haynes never mentions the window in Section 13. I can only assume that they must have mentioned it earlier in the chapter. I'm going to print and read that whole chapter to get better acquainted with the basics of my bike.

I'll tell you how it goes.

Thanks again!!

It throws me off a bit when you yanks say "quart" is that quarter of a gallon?

It doesn't help that US and Imp gallons are different too...

It's a good idea to read through the entire section before you start a job (It's very frustrating having to order and wait for a part or finding that you haven't got all the tools you need, while halfway through doing it!)

Good news. I drained 3 quarts of oil BACK out of the engine. Left the other three in there. It's right in the window. Near the top when the bike is upright.

I started her up. Ran a couple minutes. Shut down. Added a little bit more to top off. And left it overnight. This morning it started right up, ran nice and smooth.

Thanks all!

And, hopefully this means the Stator and Regulator/Rectifier are now working.

Lesson Learned: Haynes is helpful, but it is NOT all the story. There were multiple steps not explained in there. Like that fact that you have to remove the Clutch Pedal assembly to get to the Alternator cover to remove it. But that wasn't too hard.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online