xs400 Brake options

Yammydude81
This post is 5324 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey everybody! First post on this forum. I just acquired a really nice xs400 today for $400 with 11k miles. It runs really well! The only issue I am having with it is that is it missing the entire front brake system. I just checked Ebay, and I didnt see any up for auction ( which leads me to believe that they are hard to find ) so I was wondering what the parts interchangability was between this bike and the other XS models close to its year. Will the brake systems from the larger XS's bolt up ( minus the 1100 because it is a 2 caliper setup obviously ) or am i stuck trying to find a functional XS400 front caliper system. Or, if push comes to shove, what other fork/triple tree setups from other bikes will bolt up to my XS400's frame? ( and then I will just use that bikes brake setup)

Any and all help will be appreciated.

-Yammydude81

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Yamdude,

:welcome: to the forum

the brakes for your xs400, if it is an SOHC mode,l your brake caliper is shared with xs750, 850 and 1100 models (all from the right side of course). If you have lugs on your other lower fork you can have dual disks and use all the latters left calipers plus the Sr500 which have their single cliper mount on the left.

if it is the dohc model some xj stuff will fit it.

there is a sticky for xs links, top of classics

drewps

• 4 months later...

Hi Yamdude,

:welcome: to the forum

the brakes for your xs400, if it is an SOHC mode,l your brake caliper is shared with xs750, 850 and 1100 models (all from the right side of course). If you have lugs on your other lower fork you can have dual disks and use all the latters left calipers plus the Sr500 which have their single cliper mount on the left.

if it is the dohc model some xj stuff will fit it.

there is a sticky for xs links, top of classics

drewps

So the 650's calipers are out of the question then? Because they look the same, and mike's xs has them.

So the 650's calipers are out of the question then? Because they look the same, and mike's xs has them.

some 650 were compatible but there were other brake types as well, that's why I said the other bikes to be sure.

drewps

• 1 month later...

How about the brake master cylinder? How much cross-dressing can be done, at least between earlier and later xs400s.

The master cylinder on mine looks like it is dusting away, or having been chewed on by many minute rodents. At least parts are still available to rebuild the cylinders.

just keep the same bore as the 400, unless going dual disk, then you would need a larger bore Master cyl.

TBH any bike master cyl will work as all it does is push fluid pressure to the brake pistons, just in different amounts depending how many pistons need pushing

hope that helps

drewps

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online