XS400 stripped plug

pbaszxs400
This post is 5507 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I’m looking for the best way to do something the wrong way. I have an XS400 special that has the threads stripped on the one spark plug. With the weather clearing, and a lack of parts/ time/ funds I want to find a way to ride the bike without pulling the head.

Is there a plug with a slightly larger thread that I can run in? Or, is it possible to JB weld or something similar the plug into place for the season?

thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I’m looking for the best way to do something the wrong way. I have an XS400 special that has the threads stripped on the one spark plug. With the weather clearing, and a lack of parts/ time/ funds I want to find a way to ride the bike without pulling the head.

Is there a plug with a slightly larger thread that I can run in? Or, is it possible to JB weld or something similar the plug into place for the season?

thanks

look up 'heli-coil'..... or there's other types of thread sleeve inserts.... not ideal, but worth a try.

Thanks for the info...don't I need to worry about aluminum shavings falling into the engine?

ahhh yeah... i guess just about any decent solution would require head removal. you can try JB Weld or some other sloppy fit, which would work for a while, until it shoots the spark plug into your leg. They can fire out with enough speed to put dents in cars. :o

Actually the shavings from those things are fairly easy to manage. I'd used one an old lawn mower I had, and the shavings from the tapper (no drill needed, it's all done by the hand driven tapping tool) were good sized thin spiral cuts of metal coming out on the outside end of the hole. Easily grabbed as you work, and if you miss one and it tumbles in, it's a big enough piece to spot and fish out (though awkward to fish out through the spark plug hole.

So it's possible to do without removing the head, but you need to be slow and careful as you do it.

Actually the shavings from those things are fairly easy to manage. I'd used one an old lawn mower I had, and the shavings from the tapper (no drill needed, it's all done by the hand driven tapping tool) were good sized thin spiral cuts of metal coming out on the outside end of the hole. Easily grabbed as you work, and if you miss one and it tumbles in, it's a big enough piece to spot and fish out (though awkward to fish out through the spark plug hole.

So it's possible to do without removing the head, but you need to be slow and careful as you do it.

Yeah, I was wondering about that.... perhaps a vacuum cleaner attachment or mechanics magnet would help if you could get it in there....

Yeah, I was wondering about that.... perhaps a vacuum cleaner attachment or mechanics magnet would help if you could get it in there....

I'm not sure that a magnet would do much good since I'm pretty sure that's all aluminum, which for some strange reason I have not been able to get a magnet to pick up. :D