TZR 50 Sparking problem

tzr92
This post is 5472 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

To Right OG,

with the pick up adjusting the timming dynamically if it starts to break down the timming will end up different to how the motor was designed to run and therefore will supply a missfire due to the timming being incorrect for that motor at a given rpm.. perhaps we should go back to points :rolleyes: to insure the timming stays within a fixed, but acceptable frame ! I have a Reiju RS2 (same motor as TZR) and to be honest after 'lifting the bonnet' I can see there could be a point that the ignition system will fail.

Regards Jim

Im not too sure what im doing with the electrical side of things so heres the specifications form manual.

So do i just check the resistence across the stator coil?

Resistance of the stator coil:

0.4 ~ 0.6 Ω at 20º C

Ignition data:

Type of advance arrangement: Electronic

Ignition: 14º/2000 r/min

Advance: 24º/2000 r/min

CDI:

Magneto model / manufacturer MORIC 5WX

Pickup resistance (color) 350 ± 20% Ω(WR-WL)

Charge coil resistance (color) 0.36 ± 20% Ω(W)

Lighting coil resistance (color) 0.28 ± 20% Ω(YR)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Im not too sure what im doing with the electrical side of things so heres the specifications form manual.

So do i just check the resistence across the stator coil?

Resistance of the stator coil:

0.4 ~ 0.6 Ω at 20º C

Ignition data:

Type of advance arrangement: Electronic

Ignition: 14º/2000 r/min

Advance: 24º/2000 r/min

CDI:

Magneto model / manufacturer MORIC 5WX

Pickup resistance (color) 350 ± 20% Ω(WR-WL)

Charge coil resistance (color) 0.36 ± 20% Ω(W)

Lighting coil resistance (color) 0.28 ± 20% Ω(YR)

Try the pick up coil as stated before hot & cold and insure that it is within the spec at both temps also test the stator just to ensure this is also correct. charge and lighting could also be tested as you have the meter to hand

Regards Jim

Try the pick up coil as stated before hot & cold and insure that it is within the spec at both temps also test the stator just to ensure this is also correct. charge and lighting could also be tested as you have the meter to hand

Regards Jim

Ill need to wait and get the flywheel tool before I can check but I realised that I can turn the flywheel by hand very easily.

I was thinking, no compression. So I took barrel of and the cylinder head gasket looked like it had been blowing a bit as it was burnt. I cleaned it up a bit and put it back on with some instant gasket aswell. Could this be the problem?

• 3 weeks later...

Ill need to wait and get the flywheel tool before I can check but I realised that I can turn the flywheel by hand very easily.

I was thinking, no compression. So I took barrel of and the cylinder head gasket looked like it had been blowing a bit as it was burnt. I cleaned it up a bit and put it back on with some instant gasket aswell. Could this be the problem?

I finally managed to check the pick up and stator. They mached the specifications. So anymore suggestions because I dont have any.

Thanks for all the good ideas. Unfortunately it wasnt the pick up.