a few problems with my '81 XS400 SH

KFunk
This post is 5526 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

OK, I've ridden the bike a couple hundred miles now, and have got several problems I need tips with.

-Really hard starting when cold. Even if it sits for only a couple hours, I've gotta crank on it a while. Kick starting is sometimes a bit easier, but not after the first couple kicks fail to keep it going. Then I just gotta spin the starter and choke it for a really long time.

I think its because the left cylinder doesn't want to get going, and exhaust pipe stays ice cold for quite a while, and doesn't get firing until I warm it up and ride it like 100 ft. You can really feel a POOF as it finally kicks in and gets going. When its cold there's spark and theres fuel in that cylinder, but I couldn't really get any compression when cold. This bike only has 2250 miles on it.....but all I can figure are the rings just aren't sealing till I get it moving.

-Throttle cable often pops out of linkage when I go full WOT. This has been a real pain a few times to take off the tank on the side of the road while the engine is hot.... Sometimes too when I try redlining it in every gear, it'll slip gears and slip to 10K rpm... oops, maybe its telling me not to run it that fast....

-Turn signal switch, horn button, and starter button are all busted up. Everything works if you jam a screwdriver in there. Any ideas on best place to get decent buttons/switches?

-Still won't idle on its own for more than like 15 seconds once I get it warmed up unless I choke it, even after rebuilding/cleaning pilot jets/tuning the carbs best I can. Air filters have big holes in them.. wondering if the excess air is hurting things.

edit to add more:

-neutral light doesn't work. oil light works occasionally for no apparent reason. turn signal light seems to work OK.

It'd be really nice to have the neutral light working, as I can't quite tell if its in neutral sometimes and might stall it while thinking its in neutral. wheres the switch/connections for it?

-no lights for guages. kinda sucks not being able to tell my speed/rpm at night.... where to start?

Thats all I can think of right now. All in all its a damn fun bike and pulls strong once I get it warmed up. I've been having a great time with it, and even took a passenger for a ride the other night and it was awesome.

Any ideas for these little problems would be appreciated!

Thank you,

Kevin

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

OK, I've ridden the bike a couple hundred miles now, and have got several problems I need tips with.

-Really hard starting when cold. Even if it sits for only a couple hours, I've gotta crank on it a while. Kick starting is sometimes a bit easier, but not after the first couple kicks fail to keep it going. Then I just gotta spin the starter and choke it for a really long time.

I think its because the left cylinder doesn't want to get going, and exhaust pipe stays ice cold for quite a while, and doesn't get firing until I warm it up and ride it like 100 ft. You can really feel a POOF as it finally kicks in and gets going. When its cold there's spark and theres fuel in that cylinder, but I couldn't really get any compression when cold. This bike only has 2250 miles on it.....but all I can figure are the rings just aren't sealing till I get it moving.

I would say the rings are gummed up and the bike needs using. best to service the bike which would only take couple of hours (especially the valve gaps)

-Throttle cable often pops out of linkage when I go full WOT. This has been a real pain a few times to take off the tank on the side of the road while the engine is hot.... Sometimes too when I try redlining it in every gear, it'll slip gears and slip to 10K rpm... oops, maybe its telling me not to run it that fast....

clutch slipping and the throttle cable needs renewing or adjusting near the grip

-Turn signal switch, horn button, and starter button are all busted up. Everything works if you jam a screwdriver in there. Any ideas on best place to get decent buttons/switches?

ebay is good , speed sport will have them but it'll cost ya

-Still won't idle on its own for more than like 15 seconds once I get it warmed up unless I choke it, even after rebuilding/cleaning pilot jets/tuning the carbs best I can. Air filters have big holes in them.. wondering if the excess air is hurting things.

pilot jets are still blocked either get the professionally cleaned or use ultrasonic bath.

-neutral light doesn't work. oil light works occasionally for no apparent reason. turn signal light seems to work OK.

It'd be really nice to have the neutral light working, as I can't quite tell if its in neutral sometimes and might stall it while thinking its in neutral. wheres the switch/connections for it?

connection is under the left rear cover its a off white nylon triangle just infront of the chain and behind the oil switch.

-no lights for guages. kinda sucks not being able to tell my speed/rpm at night.... where to start?

put new bulbs in!!

drewps

I would say the rings are gummed up and the bike needs using. best to service the bike which would only take couple of hours (especially the valve gaps)
i checked the valve gaps recently, and all was fine. i was hoping you'd say it just needs some using, as thats what I'm workin on doin. :)

clutch slipping and the throttle cable needs renewing or adjusting near the grip

Would different oil help the clutch? Right now I've got Valvoline 20W-50 VR1 non-syn racing oil in it that I had sitting around. But I just got a new oil filter and want to change it again soon while I change that, and get some extra crud out.

I should probabbly look into just getting a new cable... the housing where it meets the throttle grip is horribly rusted...

pilot jets are still blocked either get the professionally cleaned or use ultrasonic bath.

I used the plastic bristles from a toothbrush and can see plain as day light visibly thru all the holes... don't know how much there is left to clean.

connection is under the left rear cover its a off white nylon triangle just infront of the chain and behind the oil switch.
Cool, I'll check that later.

put new bulbs in!!

Maybe, but I figured since both was out it might be a connector somewhere?

Anyways, yes its the original fuse box still... I've cleaned it up some and tightened the connections for now. I'd rather wait on jumping into that project later.

Thanks all! It's sitting outside idling/choked right and sounds like its ready to go! :D

I wouldn't put racing oil in, just go with mineral if you've no choice. I use Millars 20 50 semi sythn for classic engines (£38 gulp!!)

I doubt you got a plastic bristle though the pilot sytem within the carb! its a labrynth of turns etc. that's why i recommend ultrasonic. If you look back on some old threads, you will note posters swearing blind that they have cleaned out the carb X many times and still come to the same conclusion that there was still crud in there.

I would have thought changing the bulbs would be the easiest option first (why strip down wiring?) some past user prob cou;dn't be arsed to change the bulb and left them blown. if thats not the case, its usually corroded connections/switches)

drewps

Hey KFUNK I just picked up an 83 RX-50 at a garage sale. Can u tell me what the battery model number is? Do u know if it is OK to run it without the batttery? The bike only has 970miles on it. Got it for $300, in great shape except some dick let some white paint overspray get on it. Love this group, I raced FZR400's for a few years. Thanks for your time!!

Hey KFUNK I just picked up an 83 RX-50 at a garage sale. Can u tell me what the battery model number is? Do u know if it is OK to run it without the batttery? The bike only has 970miles on it. Got it for $300, in great shape except some dick let some white paint overspray get on it. Love this group, I raced FZR400's for a few years. Thanks for your time!!

Awesome! Everybody is buggin the hell out of me wanting to buy mine ever since I got the bigger bike, but I don't want to let it go. It just starts too easy and is way more fun in town than the bigger bike.

I've got a brand new battery sitting here, its a Yuasa 6N4-2A-5. Keep in mind its 6V too, in case you want to charge it.

It's fine to ride it with no battery, as I do most of the time. You just can't get the turn signals or horn or lights to work very well at an idle. Gotta keep in mind your brake light won't be as bright while waiting at a stoplight, so I rev it sometimes if its dark and someone is coming.

I just haven't gotten around to getting a lighting coil and such for mine to charge the battery. Last time they sold me the wrong coil, I think.

Have fun with it, and keep in mind you'll find lots of info online for YSR50s that share the same motor and most electrical and other stuff.

Thanks a bunch. I plan on using it to teach my daughters too ride. I think it's a cool little bike. What a cool history to these bikes. Thanks again!

Thanks a bunch. I plan on using it to teach my daughters too ride. I think it's a cool little bike. What a cool history to these bikes. Thanks again!

Yes, thats one of the reasons I'm hanging on to mine! I love teaching and getting to see the thrill people have when they try a motorcycle for the first time. I've taught several people, and even had some fairly big guys riding it.

You wouldn't believe the amount of attention you get with the thing as well when you take it into town and ride up next to the big bikes. Just rev it to 10K and laugh along with 'em.

The switches for those are available as complete assemblies from MikeXS, just don't tell them it's an XS400 as they only sell parts for XS650's, but the control pods are the same.

The switches for those are available as complete assemblies from MikeXS, just don't tell them it's an XS400 as they only sell parts for XS650's, but the control pods are the same.

Oooh, that looks really tempting. Only $46 for an all new mechanism, instead of getting an old mechanism that will be due to break again. I might just do that when I get some extra cash. Doubt the extra $3 for chrome would be worth it. :lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online