Shocking...

wild foamy
This post is 5532 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone.

just considering my options RE: the shocks on my Jawa 350, its going to be too expensive and labourious to get them rechromed, and ive found that a lot of people in india have fitted RD250/350LC forks instead, but is there any way to tell if the Jawa calipers would fit the RDLC forks without physically taking them off and trying it? the Jawa and RDLC both have 18" front wheels but im not sure if the brakes would fit.

any help appreciated.

Also, my rear shocks look a bit rusty and although im sure they are alright, there are some nice twinshock sets on ebay for around £50, assuming i can find a set the same size as the originals would i need to consider anything else when buying a new set?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

After a little more research and comparison of the two bikes, ive found that the RD350LC has two 267mm front disks

and the Jawa 640 Style (1999) has a single 265mm front Disk, and it supposedly has a 17" front wheel, but i swear mine is 18" :S (possibly because mine is an earlier model?)

So apart from the fact that the left-hand fork leg of a RD350 would have a caliper mounting, is the 1mm bigger radius disk on the RD going to make that much of a difference?

the RD calipers are going to be way better than the Jawa ones, not sure why you'd want to re-use them :)

£50 sounds ace for a set of shox. The two worries are the mountings (hole or fork) and which at which end, and the length of the shock.

If they are for bikes of approximately the same weight, you're laughing.

they are similar style bikes, albeit the Jawa is a bit more upright and is only 6kg heavier... :lol:

for £25 the RD350 Calipers may be a worthwhile investment, but first im focusing on getting the forks and the rst of the running gear sorted before i start tricking it up too much

Hot shit, im getting under way with this now!

they are similar style bikes, albeit the Jawa is a bit more upright and is only 6kg heavier... :lol:

for £25 the RD350 Calipers may be a worthwhile investment, but first im focusing on getting the forks and the rst of the running gear sorted before i start tricking it up too much

Hot shit, im getting under way with this now!

Yay for getting under way :D :D

getting the calipers that go with the forks saves hours and hours of fucking about, making adaptor plates, shaving bits of here and there etc. If you go for RD forks, go for the calipers and, the front wheel if you can! Again, mounting a different front wheel can mean making new spindles and spacers, the speedo drive won't fit, you might likely have to change the wheel bearings to fit the spindle.

I honestly and truly don't mean to sound negative, I really want you to get this thing on the road, I'm just pointing out easier ways of doing things.

transplanting a whole RD front end might not be too easy, are the forks the same diameter as the Jawa ones? Get outside with a caliper and find out, don't rely on interweb bollox. If they are, go for it. If not, how much different? Can you get a complete set of yokes? They can be made to fit (I'm about to do it with some FZR ones) but again needs a part making, or can you get the Jawa ones bored out to fit, if there's enough meat?

id rather not go the whole hog and do a full front-end transplant, if they are the same diameter then great, saves me a whole lot of f*cking around in the cold outside... :)

i would rather keep the stock jawa front wheel and calipers for the time being just until ive got everything working, then i can start playing around with new calipers.

the RD350 had mag wheels aswell, and i need spokies for my Jawa ;)

im assumnig you mean get the jawa yokes bored out to fit the Yamaha forks if they are too small to accomodate them?, that would be one of the simplest options and if it comes down to it that is what i will most likely do.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online