FJ1200 Handlebar Danger?

kelpike
This post is 5555 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I got my carbs back from rebuild for my 1986 FJ1200 and got the bike running. I rode it around a parking lot next to my house, but noticed if you turn either direction hard enough, the levers hit the front fairing. Is this normal on an FJ? It seems to me like this could cause a very dangerous situation. Any comments would be appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
I got my carbs back from rebuild for my 1986 FJ1200 and got the bike running. I rode it around a parking lot next to my house, but noticed if you turn either direction hard enough, the levers hit the front fairing. Is this normal on an FJ? It seems to me like this could cause a very dangerous situation. Any comments would be appreciated.
Geday mate! Sounds to me like someone may have moved the lever mounts around the bars a bit to place them in a more usable position. Simple reposition may rectify the problem. Not really that dangerous because the only time you are ever around that far on the lock is in very slow situations. However likely to mark the fairing so why not move them? On just about every bike I have owned I have rotated both levers downwards slightly so my fingers come out and just brush past the levers. Especially important on the brake lever for obvious reasons. HAVE A BLAST!Paul.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online