Dripping oil

echums
This post is 5542 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My 1998 XJ600S drips oil like mad when hot (a ride of 15-20 mins), I thought it was because the previous owner had over filled the oil, so i drained some till it was about halfway between the two lines in the little glass window. This hasn't stopped it.

I've got a big bottle of oil, and a new filter to go on, but I need any ideas of what might be causing it before I change them (incase its nothing to do with them)

Here is a pic, of what I think is the breather hose? Its where the oil drips from anyway (the pic is taken from the left-hand side of the bike, under the petrol tank.

Cheers.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35585468@N02/3296030558/

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok, does anyone have any idea whats causing it?

I'm going to change the oil, the oil filter, take the tank off and clean the breather piper, along with the air filter.

Can anyone suggest anything to do to fix the problem?

I have a 97 xj600n, there should be a hose running from the underside of the Air box on the left hand side, it should run over the top of the engine and down the back next to the fuel tank breather hose.

Pic of my bike

Mine does the same thing as yours but it is dripping all over the drive, from what I have read up on it could be something to do with a sticking carb pulling oil up into the air box.

Do you have any rough running or Idle problems, I'm thinking of buying a second hand carb off ebay and reconditioning it then swappig it out, unfortunatley I commute daily on this bike so I don't have the luxury of having it off the road for a week or so.

Yeah, the idle is rough as f*** i was told it might be the cam chain. The roughness goes as soon as I find the biting point.

I only use it for a small commute, and its embarassing more than anything having is pee oil all over the floor whenever I park it.

I think my mechanical ability only extends as far as sorting the air filter and breather hose out, but let me know if/when you get a chance to try the carb, would be good to know.

In the short term you could try running some carb cleaner through it, I got some Silkolene Pro FST and it seems to be helping a little, I also gave it a tank of Ultimate Unleaded.

My big upset now is that I put a nice new K&N air filter in last service and the bottm 3/4 inch is soaked in oil :(

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online