1983 DT100 needs choke to idle, stalls if I shake it

yosty
This post is 5408 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've gone through the carb twice now looking for problems and making sure its clean. I've messed with all combinations of throttle stop and pilot air at two different float levels.

With the floats set as they were it only idled with the choke on. Even when I turned the pilot air screw all the way in. To me this sounds like a lean condition, which I think I can fix with a larger pilot jet.

Is that sound judgement?

I dont think it is, your bike should tick over (idle) whether there is an air filter attached or not, they are really not all that fussy at closed throttle. If moving the mixture screw in or out has no affect on engine speed when idling, then perhaps the air jet is blocked, you say you have cleaned your carb but sometimes there can be some pretty hard stuff blocking these jets believe me i've seen it, i give you a picture of my carb and it shows the air jet, see if yours is similar and have a look with a magnifying glass and a small light such as you get on a cell phone, like i say its worth a look 100_0597-1.jpg anyhow its late and i'm off now, see you later.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Problem solved.

I picked up a dirty '80 MX100 carb off ebay for $25 and cleaned it up. Also picked up a UNI foam filter.

Tore down and cleaned the new carb and left it at the stock jetting (the same as the DT100).

The bike runs like a top with the foam filter at almost stock settings (1/2 turn difference on the pilot air screw).

Also got rid of the stalling when I shake the bike.

Thanks to all for the help. My other carb is to beat up I suppose...

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi there

I have a simmilar problem with my 1983 dt100. I'll run through the list put together below - many thank! Just wondering if anyone has a current link for the workshop manual??? I cant get the link below to work....

Many thanks

Benj

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online