R6 won't start.........well kinda....

O-T-B
This post is 5541 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I've just got a 2001 R6 and have a small problem........more of an annoyance really :huh:

The neutral light doesn't work and I can only start the bike when the side stand is up and the clutch is pulled in. I presumed that the neutral switch is faulty so took a look at it last night and can see that the previous owner has done a bodge. The right-angled connecter has been removed and a ring connector taped onto the end of the wire and wrapped in sparky's tape. They've then tapped a thread into the end of the switch and secured the ring connector with a screw :unsure:

I gave the inside end of the neutral switch a clean with some brake cleaner to make sure that it was operating freely but still no dice.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well I've solved the problem, after a fashion :unsure:

I changed out the neutral switch for a new one and replaced the wire and connector and bingo, my neutral light now works and the starter will turn over however :unsure: the bike won't actually fire, the starter just turns over :blink:

If I bring the kickstand up then the bike will fire. I don't have to have the clutch pulled in, it will start without <_<

Is this normal?? Surely I should be able to start the bike with it sat on its kickstand??? :unsure:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online