81 XS400 Front Drums

ajc99z
This post is 5600 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The bike had been sitting for a while prior to me buying it. When I spin the front tire, it won't rotate freely. So i tried adjusting the brake cable both at the handlebars and at the brake itself. No luck. Could the cable be bad? The spring inside the drum assembly may be old and need replaced?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I would recommend stripping the drum down. Chances are the shoes have seized onto the drum itself. It would be well worth investing in a drum brake refurb kit first along with new shoes.

The bike had been sitting for a while prior to me buying it. When I spin the front tire, it won't rotate freely. So i tried adjusting the brake cable both at the handlebars and at the brake itself. No luck. Could the cable be bad? The spring inside the drum assembly may be old and need replaced?

Any ideas are appreciated.

It's common in my experience with these bikes for the shoes to stick to the drum and for the brake material to unstick from the shoes because of corrosion. I was able to get mine back working by getting new shoes and using emery paper to sand the drum and then putting it together (make sure to grease all the pivot and slide points) and riding. I did have to put a new set of shoes in after about 4000 miles because the first set wore out fast. The second set is wearing nicely though as the drum is nice and smooth again after using them for a while. Same can happen to the rear brake as well, and the same fix would be in order. Frankly finding new good drums can be very hard for these bikes, so it's important to do your best to rehab what you have if possible. Front shoes can be a bit hard to find for a decent price, but so far I have always been able to find them after looking for a few days on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-Moto...sspagenameZWD1V

EBC #513 front shoes. Can anyone verify that 513 is the correct EBC part code?

How difficult is removing the front wheel? Other than appyling plenty of grease, anything else I should know?

Thanks!

It's one of them. IIRC one is 513 and the other is 516.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online