I think I am turning Cafe, I really think so

bralkan
This post is 5447 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Alright,

well I upped the pilot jets. Still getting stuck at 4k. =( any other ideas?

did you adjust the pilot settings, it only takes a few turns to effect a result.

I rebuilt my carbs last month and couldn't stop the hanging @ 4k till I messed with the pilot screws adjustents

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm new here...just found the sight. I picked up a '76 xs500 recently, not really running. I've rebuilt and thoroughly clean the carbs since purchasing it but haven't done the valves, timing etc. Just took it for its first spin yesterday. It seems to rev fine up to at least 4k (I didn't push further) when sitting at a stop, but when I put the bike under load, that is, try and accelerate away from a stop, the engine stubbles and hesitates above about 2500 rpm. I can push it above but it has no power and runs terribly. But the moment I come to a stop and rev the engine, it'll push past 4k no problem.

The floats where set to the stock height (they were a little low before), but I don't now about the jet sizes (how do I tell?) Also, when I re-installed the carbs I put on pods. The bike came to me already equiped with a 2-1 exhaust.

Any ideas what to look for, what to do next?

I'm new to working on engines, so if this seems something really simple and stupid, my apologies in advance.

Well to start, if you've switched it from the original air filters to Pods, you will need to likely change out the jets. The Pods give more air flow, so the fuel mixture need adjusted accordingly.

But as a seperate suggestion, start your own thread here on the forums - you're more likely to get answers for your bike instead of things about the OP's bike, and get urged to tell us all about your "new to you" bike.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online