Static Timing - 1977 DT250

Runningdog
This post is 5607 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The Clymer mentions the use of a dial indicator to aid in static timing, but no Yamaha part number, range of readings on correct dial indicator, or even a clear illustration on the complete setup.

I'm familiar with dial indicators set up on magnetic bases to measure movement loading rock anchors, etc. Any input on parts / bits and pieces to put this all together to do the static timing on my little bike would be appreciated. Already have flywheel puller and test light.

Thanks, awfully.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The Clymer mentions the use of a dial indicator to aid in static timing, but no Yamaha part number, range of readings on correct dial indicator, or even a clear illustration on the complete setup.

I'm familiar with dial indicators set up on magnetic bases to measure movement loading rock anchors, etc. Any input on parts / bits and pieces to put this all together to do the static timing on my little bike would be appreciated. Already have flywheel puller and test light.

Thanks, awfully.

you get an old spark plug and hammer out the central electrode and ceramics, you are then left with the threaded part. Drill out the threaded part to the same size as your dial gauge spigot, Then drill and tap for a 4mm screw into the side and fit a screw this will hold the DTI tight. you may or may not need to screw in an extension piece to reach your piston.

you get an old spark plug and hammer out the central electrode and ceramics, you are then left with the threaded part. Drill out the threaded part to the same size as your dial gauge spigot, Then drill and tap for a 4mm screw into the side and fit a screw this will hold the DTI tight. you may or may not need to screw in an extension piece to reach your piston.

Thanks, OGOAB....simple in it's elegance, and elegantly simple. I'll hunt down a guage with a long-enough stem to reach beyond the top of the piston at TDC, and maybe an inch of travel?