My new '78 xs400

Follyworks
This post is 5612 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I've got this little '78 xs400 I got a few months ago, which I got for cheap. A new battery got it running again, and it's been some cleaning and refurbishing since then. Still has the "rev's hanging" thing that's common with this model (waiting until I've done a good carb clean to tweak that out), but otherwise seems to be mechanically running great. (70 mph at 6k rpm in 6th gear, and around 55 mpg, so I'm happy with that).

bike%201.jpg

bike%202.jpg

The gas tank has a new rattlecan paint job (and of course, I manage to scratch it less then a week after putting it back on), and the seat is recovered as the original was in shreds.

Sadly, all the chrome is pitted, and rust spots appear all over the place - small, thankfully, but still there. It's at a point wher eit looks pretty good from 30 feet, but iffy from close up. Any restoration tips from the group?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Pipes look a little on the blue side,, looks like she could be running a bit weak/hot ??

The running on could be caused by an air leak on the inlet stubs ??

their stainless steve, my xs did that as they are single wall pipes. originals were twin walled.

Anyhoo

:welcome: to the forum Fol

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online