Another newbie. It's ugly...

KFunk
This post is 5587 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

aww poop, I messed up the threads on the end of the rear axle. I was trying to get the rear wheel off and to check out the rear drum, and the axle didn't want to come out. So yeah, I whacked it on the end with a sledge hammer to try to drive it out, and it smashed in some on the end. I guess its too hollow because of the big cotter pin holes.

Well, I figure I'll try a re-threading die tomorrow and hope that works. 12mmx1.5?

I also gotta figure out how the heck to get that axle out of there... Need some kind of bar thru the hole on the other side and a way to pull on it from that side....

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well, I need some assistance trying to figure out how to get this rear axle out.

I finally got it to rotate by using a big line-up bar thru the hole in the end, and hitting it with a hammer. But, the axle is stuck inside the big spacer just on the other side. Every time I rotate the axle, the spacer just spins with it, and its stuck in there so that it won't let me slide the axle out the end. I can't get a solid whack on the line-up bar to get the axle outward. I tried holding the spacer with channellock pliers while rotating, and still no go.

I've got the adjuster freed up finally, and sprayed some grease inside the drum, and maybe it'll be enough to get rear brake functioning alright. I'll have a re-threading die tomorrow for the other side, so I may just try putting it back together as is.. but I'm still gonna have to get that axle out someday if I want to change the tires, which it needs really bad.

Well, I need some assistance trying to figure out how to get this rear axle out.

I finally got it to rotate by using a big line-up bar thru the hole in the end, and hitting it with a hammer. But, the axle is stuck inside the big spacer just on the other side. Every time I rotate the axle, the spacer just spins with it, and its stuck in there so that it won't let me slide the axle out the end. I can't get a solid whack on the line-up bar to get the axle outward. I tried holding the spacer with channellock pliers while rotating, and still no go.

I've got the adjuster freed up finally, and sprayed some grease inside the drum, and maybe it'll be enough to get rear brake functioning alright. I'll have a re-threading die tomorrow for the other side, so I may just try putting it back together as is.. but I'm still gonna have to get that axle out someday if I want to change the tires, which it needs really bad.

Leave the nut part way on the axle and hit that. As for the brakes, sounds like the shoe material has stuck to the drum and come off the shoes. That happened to me. You can get new shoes on ebay and then when you get the wheel off you can get the shoe material free and sand the drum braking surface. It won't be great for a while, you will probably go through the first set of shoes fast so get two of them. Mine has just gotten to the point of working right again after sitting for over 10 years, still got some work to go on it, but it's going pretty nice so far.

Leave the nut part way on the axle and hit that. As for the brakes, sounds like the shoe material has stuck to the drum and come off the shoes. That happened to me. You can get new shoes on ebay and then when you get the wheel off you can get the shoe material free and sand the drum braking surface. It won't be great for a while, you will probably go through the first set of shoes fast so get two of them. Mine has just gotten to the point of working right again after sitting for over 10 years, still got some work to go on it, but it's going pretty nice so far.

Well, I rethreaded the axle end... put the nut back on there, and tried whacking it with a hammer. Still no go...

I'm thinkin i could try cutting a notch in the spacer, then beating it with a cold chisel/hammer to try and rotate it around the axle, and get that rust broken free.

But in the meantime, I'm wondering if i can put it back together and see if the rear drum will work. It seems like it works fine when you operate it by hand on the stand. Would yours do that, Cy?

I'm wondering if maybe rust between the backing plate and/or pin and the shoes was keeping my brake from operating smoothly. I sprayed some PB Blaster and lubricating oil around thru the side of the drum, and maybe with the adjuster freshened/tightened, and some more use, I could get lucky and it'll work?

But in any case, still gotta get that spacer/axle out someday to change tires....

Well, I rethreaded the axle end... put the nut back on there, and tried whacking it with a hammer. Still no go...

I'm thinkin i could try cutting a notch in the spacer, then beating it with a cold chisel/hammer to try and rotate it around the axle, and get that rust broken free.

But in the meantime, I'm wondering if i can put it back together and see if the rear drum will work. It seems like it works fine when you operate it by hand on the stand. Would yours do that, Cy?

I'm wondering if maybe rust between the backing plate and/or pin and the shoes was keeping my brake from operating smoothly. I sprayed some PB Blaster and lubricating oil around thru the side of the drum, and maybe with the adjuster freshened/tightened, and some more use, I could get lucky and it'll work?

But in any case, still gotta get that spacer/axle out someday to change tires....

It matches the symptoms of the brake material being stuck to the drum and off the shoes. That is NOT safe! Also any oil/grease into the brake area is NOT a good idea. You NEED to get that axle out. Have you tried getting a vise grip on the spacer and then rotating the axle while holding the spacer in place?

It matches the symptoms of the brake material being stuck to the drum and off the shoes. That is NOT safe! Also any oil/grease into the brake area is NOT a good idea. You NEED to get that axle out. Have you tried getting a vise grip on the spacer and then rotating the axle while holding the spacer in place?

yep, tried that. I'm afraid of squeezing it too tight that it pinches in against the axle even more.

I'm now workin on diggin in deep with a cold chisel, and beating the spacer sideways to spin or move it, but no go yet. I had to put away the sledge because its late and the neighbors wont be happy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not gonna trust this brake at all till it works reliably for me for many miles. (no matter what form its in)

I would get second hand axle and spacer and angle grind the f%cker out. sorted. check ebayas there's loads of parts there.

I would get second hand axle and spacer and angle grind the f%cker out. sorted. check ebayas there's loads of parts there.

yeah, i might get there soon. I may just hack at the spacer till it submits, which is basically whats gonna have to happen anyways. I still havent tried heat, so I'll try to buy a torch in the next couple of days.

There's an axle for cheap on ebay right now, or i can just get a new one for like $36 online.

I don't know where to get the spacer though... nobody shows them in stock.

either get 1 2nd hand or one made out of stainless for that extra special bling ;)

OK, I couldnt wait, I painted it!

texture doesnt show up well in the pics, but its rustoleum's 'hammered' gray:

graybike1.jpg

graybike2.jpg

closebike3.jpg

and yeah, mapp torch didnt help, gonna have to take angle grinder to it once I can find a spare spacer. I tried takin it for a ride again, and rear brake is still doing nothing but just sliding around.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online