I have a DT175mx but haven't got a clue of its age!

NEEOOW
This post is 3920 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have an 80's something DT175mx. I majorly crashed it a year ago off road and am now in the process of transfering everything onto a spare DT frame that I have. I bent the frame beyond repair and although I got it up and running again it just isn't the same. I started to transfer everything across and then came to a stand still. The rear swing arm bolt would not come out. So after grinding, heating and much hammer hitting (and lots of swearing) :( it finally came out. Damaging the swing Arm bush in the process. The thing is the spare swing arm was removed in a similar way so I have no way of ordering the correct bush kit as both are now goosed. Another hurdle I am faced with is that the swing arms are different, as in one is tubular in construction and the other is of a box section type. The Main framework seems to be the same as everything else has easily moved across. It would be nice to complete the bike over the winter in time for the summer on the hills. My clymer manual doesn't seem to cover my bike and was hoping someone could give me a clue to its age and exact model type. The frame number of the bent bike is 2k4 008596 and the frame I am transferring to is 2k4 063038. It should all fit across and if I have to reuse the old swing arm then I would need the bush kit for that. Either way I would need a bush kit so I suppose that is not important. Can Anyone help? :unsure:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, if youre going to use frame #063038 then you will need to use the square section swing arm, also this version had a different air box and oil tank set up, the oil tank will be on the right of the bike for a square sct swing arm version. You should find that swing arm bushes are still available, say its for a 1981 bike with square sect arm.

Cheers. I was hoping to use the Square Swing arm as it was off the spare frame anyway. It doesn't have an airbox anymore, just a foam filter straight onto the carb and I am pre-mixing the two stroke oil at the moment direct into the tank. Do you happen to know the model type and year? Just to help me order the correct swing Arm bush kit!

Cheers. I was hoping to use the Square Swing arm as it was off the spare frame anyway. It doesn't have an airbox anymore, just a foam filter straight onto the carb and I am pre-mixing the two stroke oil at the moment direct into the tank. Do you happen to know the model type and year? Just to help me order the correct swing Arm bush kit!

The bike was produced fro 1978 until 1983, i'm fairly sure that the round swing arm was only on the firt year of production, thats why i said ask for a 1981 bearing set, by the way, have a look at motolink, or wemoto or redrose retrobikes they sometimes have spares at a good price

• 4 years later...

Having finally after all these years got round to emailling Yamaha for some official help on the Age/ Type/ Model etc of my DT175MX, they told me it was a 1981 model and if ordering parts from a Dealer I should use model code 4J40 to relate to the correct parts catalogue. Hoorah for these forums and the Internet!lol

They couldn't recognise the other frame number I gave, perhaps I wrote it down wrong!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online