How to remove timing plate from a 1982 550 Seca

550dude
This post is 5646 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 1982 Seca 550 that will not start. I am currently trying to pull the timing plate off because it appears to be damaged. But as I turn a wrench on the integrated nut it also turns the crank. I put the bike in gear thinking that would stop it from rotating...no it did not.

Cn someone help me on how to take the timing plate off of a 1982 Seca 550?

Thank you.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have a 1982 Seca 550 that will not start. I am currently trying to pull the timing plate off because it appears to be damaged. But as I turn a wrench on the integrated nut it also turns the crank. I put the bike in gear thinking that would stop it from rotating...no it did not.

Cn someone help me on how to take the timing plate off of a 1982 Seca 550?

Thank you.

New to the site. Just sayin' hi.

Sounds like you're gonna need a flywheel puller :unsure:

Easiest way to get @ that timing plate/pick-up coils......(*make sure scribe around the existing ones before you remove them)....makes it a whole lote easier when installing the new ones (if needed)

Also mark the timing plate before removal as well. ;)

BTW..... :welcome: to the forum

If you can determine when both valves on a cylinder will be closed (piston comming up before or after compression stroke depending on direction of rotation) you can feed some rope down through the spark plug hole twisting it as you do to try to coil it on top of the piston. The main thing is to make sure both valves are closed so you don't bend one. Once that is done, as soon as the crank turns enough for the rope to contact the cylinder head, it should stop turning allowing you to pull the nut or bolt you were trying to remove. Just make sure you leave enough rope out of the hole to remove it once you're done and have backed the piston down away from the head releasing it. Hope this helps.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online