DT50MX Engine Coversion

Chrisa112
This post is 5658 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

Im curious to know if i could fit a DT125 engine (or 125cc engine of any sort) im my 1984 DT50MX frame?

Ill be getting the R125 next year but i want to make this a project to do in my spare time. The bike is only 6v - would i need to rewire the bike to a 12v to make the engine run properly?

Basically can it be done without making any MAJOR modifications to the frame of the bike??

If anyone has done this, advice would be appreciated :D

Cheers,

<>Chris

P.S sorry if this topic has already been posted - but i cant find it if it has :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all,

Im curious to know if i could fit a DT125 engine (or 125cc engine of any sort) im my 1984 DT50MX frame?

Basically can it be done without making any MAJOR modifications to the frame of the bike??

Back in the days of steam i cut my teeth on a DT50m and that had exactly the same brakes as the MX that followed it, i remember quite a few white knuckle moments with a tuned 60cc motor, thanks to an officer of de law i know it did at least 64mph, points make prizes. ( i wasn't actuall speeding in the true sense the road was a 60 limit i got a mega bollocking and a ticket for no L plates).

You barely get enough stopping power needed on the std stuff, as for a 125 lump :lol:. Seriously bigbore and a pipe, bit of porting if you fancy a challenge. Any more and you will end up breaking the bike or yourself.

haha thanks for the reply mate, totally for got about braking issues :unsure::rolleyes:

i could bore it and i could get a bigger exhaust but the only one ''performance'' one i could find was ''big one'' which looks stupid on a bike thats as old as mine!!

oh well think ill just stick with my R125 then . :D

Leave the 50 alone and spend the money on some goodies for the 125, or better still going by the kids round my way some kit, there are scoots running around near me often enough living in a village but, and its a biggy. Even at this time of year they are only in puffa jackets or parkers, jeans, trainers and maybe gloves........

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online