Sily NOOB question.....

This post is 5665 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

That's the Engine Fault light.

It should come on when you turn on the ignition, then go out a couple of seconds afterward. This means the system is checking itself and all is OK.

If it stays on or flashes a number of times, it means you need to get it checked.

There is a code list, to decipher what each number of flashes means, but this is usually for teh mechanic to diagnose.

That's the Engine Fault light.

It should come on when you turn on the ignition, then go out a couple of seconds afterward. This means the system is checking itself and all is OK.

If it stays on or flashes a number of times, it means you need to get it checked.

There is a code list, to decipher what each number of flashes means, but this is usually for teh mechanic to diagnose.

thanks task master....my name is Chris by the way..... you have been very helpful..must get pics and send you them.... im thinking of getting a srapy job dont to the dragstar....its midnight black now ...do you think it would be worthwhile i know its onyl a 125...

Anyway the orange lgiht was only cming on when i started her up so safe there lol

Good news - Bike is self-diagnosing and the parts that it checks are all OK!!

NO - Do NOT get a custom paint job.

Reason being, you will probably want a bigger bike some time in the future - which means you will likely want to sell this one.

Any custom paintwork will reduce the sale value of the bike.

Whilst you may like it, it won't neccesarily be to a buyer's tastes and teh first thing they'd want to do is change it.

Keep everything as standard as possible. Any accessories should be sensible ones that are easily removed, such as luggage, screeens, backrests etc.

Good news - Bike is self-diagnosing and the parts that it checks are all OK!!

NO - Do NOT get a custom paint job.

Reason being, you will probably want a bigger bike some time in the future - which means you will likely want to sell this one.

Any custom paintwork will reduce the sale value of the bike.

Whilst you may like it, it won't neccesarily be to a buyer's tastes and teh first thing they'd want to do is change it.

Keep everything as standard as possible. Any accessories should be sensible ones that are easily removed, such as luggage, screeens, backrests etc.

excelllent point!!! plus bonus points the bike looks great as midnight black anyway...was thinking of getting crash bars on it .....goood for safety but im not sure about the look haha!?? ....

more brownie points i got 2 side leather saddlebags...and a front map holder type one lol loike a tube shape, on the front under the light...looks the part!!!must get pics on!!!

Sounds cool Chris, when are you hoping to move up? or are you sticking with the 125 for a while?

One of the top priorities on my list (but probably the last thing i'll do) Is getting the bike painted :D I'm trying to buy one white so it's cheaper wehn i get it done lol, but we'll see :)

Sounds cool Chris, when are you hoping to move up? or are you sticking with the 125 for a while?

One of the top priorities on my list (but probably the last thing i'll do) Is getting the bike painted :D I'm trying to buy one white so it's cheaper wehn i get it done lol, but we'll see :)

sounds cool manbut i think i willleave it as it is.....taskmaster made a good point...wat bike u got???

Crash bars are a good investment.

Plus, you can stretch your legs out and rest them on top of the bars during long motorway rides!!

The tubular leather thing is a Tool Roll.

Basically a cylindrical compartment for holding a few spanners, screwdriver and what have you.

It's a throwback to the old days when you had to carry a bunch of tools in case your bike broke down.

They're a bit pointless nowadays though, since most bikes have a tool-kit under the seat. People just have them for the Retro look.

I know one guy who has two large tool rolls - the second hangs off the front corner of the frame, behind the front wheel. He keeps a sleeping bag in one and a tent in the other!!

Crash bars are a good investment.

Plus, you can stretch your legs out and rest them on top of the bars during long motorway rides!!

The tubular leather thing is a Tool Roll.

Basically a cylindrical compartment for holding a few spanners, screwdriver and what have you.

It's a throwback to the old days when you had to carry a bunch of tools in case your bike broke down.

They're a bit pointless nowadays though, since most bikes have a tool-kit under the seat. People just have them for the Retro look.

I know one guy who has two large tool rolls - the second hangs off the front corner of the frame, behind the front wheel. He keeps a sleeping bag in one and a tent in the other!!

i had an inkling that it had something to do with tools...its too small for anthing else......im thinking of gettign the inside of my saddlebags lined with some kind of sheet metal on the inside ...so i can have things in them and leave them with the bike and not worrk about some1 cutting them open with a knife ad stealing my gear!!!! how hard and cost effective would a job liek this be would you think??

what kinda bike u riding mate??? gonna stick with the 125 for 3 years i thinks

Cool, at the moment I'm on a little 50cc Aprilia but I want to go to a 650cc which i'll have restricted at first and probably use for about 4-6 years depending on what i do at Uni :D

Cool, at the moment I'm on a little 50cc Aprilia but I want to go to a 650cc which i'll have restricted at first and probably use for about 4-6 years depending on what i do at Uni :D

taskmaster maybe ur input would be good here: getting a larger bike resrticted to 125/250 good idea or bad idea?? BEGINNER: would you not get a 125 jsut and keep it for a couple of years...im gonan keep my drag for 3 years then ...see what happens after i get my test.......

Tool rolls can hold a fair bit of kit. Don't dismiss them out of hand.

You can put whatever you like in 'em.

im thinking of gettign the inside of my saddlebags lined with some kind of sheet metal on the inside ...so i can have things in them and leave them with the bike and not worrk about some1 cutting them open with a knife ad stealing my gear!!!! how hard and cost effective would a job liek this be would you think??

Easy job requiring some basic tools.

Fairly cheap to do as well. You can get all the tools and materials you need from B&Q or a similar shop. Cut the sheet metal to shape using tin snips, flatten it out and file down the cut edges, punch holes in the sheet, punch matching holes in the saddlebags, rivet the plate in place.

HOWEVER - If I were a thief, I'd not bother slashing open your leather saddlebags - I'd just open the fecking buckles!!!!!!

Seriously mate - Easy to do, but not worth the hassle at all.

taskmaster maybe ur input would be good here: getting a larger bike resrticted to 125/250 good idea or bad idea??

If you're talking about a 650 Dragstar, it will be restricted to 33bhp.

Just to give you some perspective, your 125 is about 12bhp as standard.

The full on 650 is only 40bhp, so restricting it to 33 doesn't take too much away.

You'd be riding the equivalent of a 400cc bike.

Having ridden a restricted 650 Classic (which has 20kg extra bodywork weight) it is notably slower than my own 650.... however, it still performs well enough to have serious fun on and goes fast enough for you to lose your licence on a motorway!!

You will most likely want to lose the 125 in the end and get something bigger anyway, so I see no problem with it.

Bike will cost you whatever.

Restriction will cost about £150, including fitting, certification etc.

Insurance....... See what companys say and get the cheapest you can.

Tool rolls can hold a fair bit of kit. Don't dismiss them out of hand.

You can put whatever you like in 'em.

Easy job requiring some basic tools.

Fairly cheap to do as well. You can get all the tools and materials you need from B&Q or a similar shop. Cut the sheet metal to shape using tin snips, flatten it out and file down the cut edges, punch holes in the sheet, punch matching holes in the saddlebags, rivet the plate in place.

HOWEVER - If I were a thief, I'd not bother slashing open your leather saddlebags - I'd just open the fecking buckles!!!!!!

Seriously mate - Easy to do, but not worth the hassle at all.

Yes fair point taskmaster but i was thinking of getting a type of lock to go through the buckles.....hence the sheet metal interior...would be pretty pointless in gettign them without gettign a lock for it!!! its jsut so i can put the likes of gloves, n wets in them when coming in and ouit of work ...and jsut for future reference if i need to go on a touring trips .....

OK, so a lock on the buckles and a steel plate surround.

I'll either cut the buckle straps or cut the stitching instead....

If you only have small items, get a tail pack/lock carrier or even a small tank bag and stow it all in that.

It's easily removable (couple of QR clips) and you can then take it into work with you. Job done.

For pure security and practicality you'd be better off getting rigid panniers, rather than saddlebags.

I have seen these on larger Cruisers (like the Volusia) but don't know if they do 'em for a 125 Drag.

My advice is to check out the Givi website and see if they do a set of pannier rails for the Drag.

If so, then you could get Givi panniers fitted.

Beyond that, you're riding the wrong type of bike.

If you basically build some Sheet metal panniers with a lock and a separate lid and proper hinges and stuff, and then jsut rivet them to the leather panniers, that'd work, but locking the straps will be ineffective, you could have teh clocking likd and then just do the straps up over the top for appearance. I might have a go at this...

Honestly, it'd be cheaper and easier (and lighter) to get some properly made hard luggage, guys.......

Honestly, it'd be cheaper and easier (and lighter) to get some properly made hard luggage, guys.......

Do we not need to take into consideration style factor on this, would the hard luggage look as good???...but then a lot of hassleto make the steel boxes

Look as good???!!!

You tell me:

Some example Cruisers with hard luggage:

imageURL_1650.jpg

cruiser.jpg

Oh look.... Even a V-Star/Dragstar 1100.....

moen.jpg

Here, I'll even give you some starting links:

Hard Luggage

Even some leather covered ones!!!

Pretty things...

Look as good???!!!

You tell me:

Some example Cruisers with hard luggage:

imageURL_1650.jpg

cruiser.jpg

Oh look.... Even a V-Star/Dragstar 1100.....

moen.jpg

Here, I'll even give you some starting links:

Hard Luggage

Even some leather covered ones!!!

Pretty things...

wow nice man ...some of them look pretty damn good!!! REPORT: not getting the bike back now until saturday at the earliest!!!! ....couldnt see any1 luggage for dragstar but im sure they are on there somewhere!!!! thanks again tast master

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online