Yamaha XS250Custom

haggis-catcher
This post is 5675 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all. I am looking for a bit of advice, if anyone can help. I have the chance of buying a 1981 Yamaha XS250 Custom, that has been sat in a garage since 1982. It only has 415 miles on the clock, and is still owned buy the original owner. It does have corrosion on it, and the chrome is pretty goosed. He said he managed to get it running again, but not very good. Now i do know what risks are with this bike, and i know they were not brilliant. It just seems to me that it could be a good project. What i am looking for is some advise to what it really is worth, and what it would be worth when restored. I have posted a few pictures of the bike, and your comments would be great.

Many thanks

Stew

5bf0_1.jpg

4074_1.jpg

801d_1.jpg

a10d_1.jpg

d0cc_1.jpg

c568_0.jpg

f0dc_1.jpg

e5c0_1.jpg

ac31_1.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It looks lovely, but as you say, if its not running great, you will be taking a risk, either way, if you DO buy it

But with a little bit of TLC, and elbow grease, that bike will be Smokin!

I would try and justtake it off his/her hands for free!! you will need to spend some money to get it to decent spec and then it would be worth £300- £500.

I spent £1500-2k on mine (400 version) that was 3 years ago and to high spec!

The bodywork looks ok :)

restoring it for the entertainment value, just as a hobby, just because, might be fun.

Restoring it for resale at a profit is not going to happen. :(

I'd pay, at most, £50-£75. I wouldn't have thought it'd take much to get it running and MoTed.

Then, well, you've got an XS250. They're not that grate, akshully, as they say on teh internets.

Doesn't go, doesn't stop, doesn't really handle. For trundling along gently and cheaply, y'can't argue with it :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online