MPG....again!!!

DJ Rusty
This post is 5668 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok ive just filled the tank..again after clocking up 139.4 miles of riding. this riding has been just commuting to and from work using a roads ranging from 30 mph to 50 mph, keeping stricktly to the speed limits to see exactly what i would get to the tank. Still running bike engine in, up to 415 miles now, so my question is this...is this a true number of miles that i should, and will be getting in the future on my new fazer 600s? Any comments please all out there who have one.

Cheers guys`.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Actually DJ......

Your mileage should improve a bit after your bike has been "Ran In" ;)

Everything loosens up a little & as long as you keep after the oil & plugs........there's no reason the MPG shouldn't improve. :thumb:

Ok ive just filled the tank..again after clocking up 139.4 miles of riding. this riding has been just commuting to and from work using a roads ranging from 30 mph to 50 mph, keeping stricktly to the speed limits to see exactly what i would get to the tank. Still running bike engine in, up to 415 miles now, so my question is this...is this a true number of miles that i should, and will be getting in the future on my new fazer 600s? Any comments please all out there who have one.

Cheers guys`.

Hi mate,

you did not say if you went on reserve before filling up if so how many miles did you do when it went on reserve. If I was doing 30 to 50 mph I would expect to be getting in between 150 to 180. At the mo I am getting about 150 miles till it hits reserve but I am doing in between 30 and 70 mph, if I carried on using reserve I would expect about 180 miles on a full tank. Talking to a mate a while back he says when he had the bike it was doing very well on fuel till it went back to the shop to have a few jobs done, then he said it was doing about 30 miles less. If you are still not happy when you go in for your service you could mention this to the mechanic.

If it was me I would be tempted to fill it up then go on a run till it hits reserve this would give me peace of mind. Like I mentioned before in a earlier post I would expect in between 170 and 180 miles on a good run before it hits reserve. Hope i have been of some help.

Cheers Phil.

As I said before I get about 185 to the reserve warning but that comes on a little early on mine. I have done 225 plus before filling and still had a litre and a half left giving about 57 to the gallon. How much did you put in when you filled? How long is your commute? I am assuming that your tyre pressures are correct etc? At 140 miles I would expect to put in no more than 11 to 12 litres.

Oh - a note about tyre pressures - I contacted Bridgestone about the rate at which my rear tyre (BT020) was wearing and the graining of the rubber after less than 15 miles on the M4 at 65 to 70 MPH (almost worn out at 3500 miles) - they said ignore the pressure in the handbook and on the swing arm - set to 36 psi front and 42 psi rear as they feel the pressures recommended by Yamaha are too low. Their other advice was to always check the tyre manufacturer's web site for correct pressures instead of relying on the bike manufacturere to get it right.

Hi mate,

you did not say if you went on reserve before filling up if so how many miles did you do when it went on reserve. If I was doing 30 to 50 mph I would expect to be getting in between 150 to 180. At the mo I am getting about 150 miles till it hits reserve but I am doing in between 30 and 70 mph, if I carried on using reserve I would expect about 180 miles on a full tank. Talking to a mate a while back he says when he had the bike it was doing very well on fuel till it went back to the shop to have a few jobs done, then he said it was doing about 30 miles less. If you are still not happy when you go in for your service you could mention this to the mechanic.

If it was me I would be tempted to fill it up then go on a run till it hits reserve this would give me peace of mind. Like I mentioned before in a earlier post I would expect in between 170 and 180 miles on a good run before it hits reserve. Hope i have been of some help.

Cheers Phil.

Cheers for answering Phil.

Ok it was 139.4 from full, to when the reserve started, (it automaticaly goes to reset on the reserve). I just put in £15 worth of normal unleaded petrol, not the dear stuff, and that took it to the brim, so im going to see what it does before it goes for its first service. Im on just over 400 miles now. Hope this helps you out with my problem?

As I said before I get about 185 to the reserve warning but that comes on a little early on mine. I have done 225 plus before filling and still had a litre and a half left giving about 57 to the gallon. How much did you put in when you filled? How long is your commute? I am assuming that your tyre pressures are correct etc? At 140 miles I would expect to put in no more than 11 to 12 litres.

Oh - a note about tyre pressures - I contacted Bridgestone about the rate at which my rear tyre (BT020) was wearing and the graining of the rubber after less than 15 miles on the M4 at 65 to 70 MPH (almost worn out at 3500 miles) - they said ignore the pressure in the handbook and on the swing arm - set to 36 psi front and 42 psi rear as they feel the pressures recommended by Yamaha are too low. Their other advice was to always check the tyre manufacturer's web site for correct pressures instead of relying on the bike manufacturere to get it right.

havent checked the tyre presures to be honest, didnt think ied need to be yet, just over 400 miles. I will check tomorrow. The first full tank gave me around the 160 mile mark, Give or take 5 miles. Is this about right then?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online