1981 XS 400 Headlight

djd514
This post is 5685 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have an 1981 XS 400 and I need to replace the headlight. It is a sealed beam with 3 prongs in the back. My local Yamaha dealer wanted almost $100 for a new one. Bike Bandit had one for $70. I can't believe these are so expensive. Where can i find a cheaper replacement?

Dave

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

As you are talking Dollars i take it you are in the states, i'm afraid i can't do the clicky thing but if you try Ebay.co.uk and enter this item number- 110300446021

I dont know if your headlight is the same as the XT but there can't be much in it?? They may be able to help with something if thats no good.

Don't know anything about the stuff your side of the pond but that one i found is about $60 with exchange rate so i think that is pretty good unless someone else stateside can help.

Don't know anything about the stuff your side of the pond but that one i found is about $60 with exchange rate so i think that is pretty good unless someone else stateside can help.

Check ebay and craigslist.

On craigslist, look for part bikes around the country and see if they will mail you the headlight. I picked up one for $20.

Also, on Ebay someone sells replacement units that are not sealed. Thus, when the bulb dies again you can go buy an off-the-shelf H3 bulb for 8 bucks or whatever.

i got rid of the weak 6.xx inch headlight that was on my xs400 and put in a 7-inch sealed halogen (45watts i think).

the original headlamp is too weak to light up a road, and is a very dark yellow - i hated it

I opened up the headlight housing, cut out the 2 mounting tabs that connect to the inner rim of the original headlight, duct taped a small piece of rubber in their place, and stuffed an off-the-shelf 7-inch in there. It made a huge difference, well worth the $13 i paid for the headlight

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online