SR125 Cutting out

kevlar111
This post is 5694 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Whenever I get to around 50mph the bike just stops running and I have to pull over and start it again to make it work which is not very fun or safe on roads where I can get up to these speeds. Can anyone give me some tips or advice on why this might happen and how to fix it?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Whenever I get to around 50mph the bike just stops running and I have to pull over and start it again to make it work which is not very fun or safe on roads where I can get up to these speeds. Can anyone give me some tips or advice on why this might happen and how to fix it?

I have not had this problem on my sr 125 but would think if your bike judders before cutting out like a splutter and loosing power before cutting out it could be fuel starvation. If on the other hand it cuts out instantly like hitting the kill switch then I would tend to think its electrical maybe a loose wire..

I would check how much fuel you have. make sure its in reserve position on your fuel tap if your low on fuel. also that the tap is in the on position i have forgotton a few times to turn it on my self and the bike died on me...also check your connections behind the headlight there are two types of connectors (block and butt conectors) butt conectors are mainly lights and auxilaries and block are more mechanical undo your conectors and reconnect do this a few times to make sure there is a good connection. also try spraying the connectors with wd 40 after you have gone through them all just in case water is getting in to your connectors.

On a safety note though I would be wary of riding at buzy times and bad weather conditions and prerare your self at all time for the engine to die and plan escape route. try to find a quiet road to test.

Im only a newbie myself and had to learn quickly as my bike was a nail and a half maybe sombody else can advice you better but its a start for you.

Do you have to wait a while before it starts again? If so check the fuel filter, It may be in the fuel tap

no it starts right up again but i will check them just to make sure.

If on the other hand it cuts out instantly like hitting the kill switch then I would tend to think its electrical maybe a loose wire..

yes its instant, i was thinking electrical too. I will give those wires a check and use the WD40 water could be very likely with the recent weather.

Thanks for the quick replies.