drive system

Taffy Bear
This post is 5708 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all

Im in the process of getting a xvs650 custom bike, and i know its shaft driven. i have a question, "what is the best drive system belt, chain or shaft and why" ? i was going to get a belt driven bike but ppl say to stay away from them, others say go with a chain, then ppl say go with the shaft..... :unsure:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Horses for courses, mate.

I know feck all about belt drives.

Chain systems are used mostly for saving weight, hence every "rilly rilly fast" sportsbike will probably have one. On a bike as heavy as a Cruiser, the extra weight of a shaft makes little difference.

I'm sure there will be many other arguments but, aside from personal preference, I doubt many of them will be relevant to the average rider.

Shaft transmissions deliver the power directly, so you get a more immediate response.

However, unless you are a professional racer, the actual difference is unnoticable.

The big one about shafties is that they don't need continual tension adjustment and re-lubing like chains and (presumably) belts. One less thing to feck up while cornering at 60!!

I just prefer the look of a shaft, myself.

BTW - Good choice on the Custom - Much prettier than the Classic!!

Horses for courses, mate.

I know feck all about belt drives.

Chain systems are used mostly for saving weight, hence every "rilly rilly fast" sportsbike will probably have one. On a bike as heavy as a Cruiser, the extra weight of a shaft makes little difference.

I'm sure there will be many other arguments but, aside from personal preference, I doubt many of them will be relevant to the average rider.

Shaft transmissions deliver the power directly, so you get a more immediate response.

However, unless you are a professional racer, the actual difference is unnoticable.

The big one about shafties is that they don't need continual tension adjustment and re-lubing like chains and (presumably) belts. One less thing to feck up while cornering at 60!!

I just prefer the look of a shaft, myself.

BTW - Good choice on the Custom - Much prettier than the Classic!!

Actually the racing bikes use chains because there is less power loss in a chain drive system. Shaft drive has at least 3 additional rotational direction changes over a chain. Shaft drive is more reliable and lower maint but less efficient.

used to have belt driven kawaski 250 scorpion great bike all round found it to be a lot better than a chain drive 250

got a chain drive fj1200 now. so its down to personal choice :rolleyes: