Im still a bit scared pulling out of junctions

Hardrive
This post is 5681 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I wear glasses so opening the visor when it's raining is a bad idea, you cannot get water off your widows believe me. Go find a Heine Gericke store and get a fogcity lense, they fit on the inside of your visor and stop it steaming up, you can always leave it closed then. They're great, but clean them gently or as they start to get a few surface scratches (mines a year old) they can start to give a bit of back glare off headlights.

Foot on the break out of a junction? Never heard that before I must confess. As for lifesavers, as mentioned before, although I must confess I forget who by, sorry, as your confidence grows you will probably find less use for them. If you take your time and relax as you ride you will find more time to check your mirrors "better" ie don't glance, look properly. If you know whats behind you and all around you at all times then there are less times where they are actually needed. Never look backwards at the expense of looking forwards, just make sure you are aware of what is going on around you.

Cornering is an art, you'll get the hang of it, counter steering comes naturally (I've just bought a Thundercat and it's pretty hefty, I've been doing it subconciously since I got it) but one of the best things you can do is relax and give yourself all the time you need. Having not had the cat long though it's a bit like starting again with corners and it takes a lot of getting used to, but I know my limits.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I seem to be in a similar boat to you and I own the same bike. :D

I've yet to go on my first long ride, still staying local and practising.

Reading whats been said has helped loads, although I'm still very nervous about it all.

Thanks

Paul. :D

You never stop learning.

I've just back on a bike after 16 months off one - been riding again for about 3 months. I came off mine last week - a really stupid mistake caused by not paying proper attention. Dry day, but been through a wet patch on the road and realised too late that the Corsa in front had slowed up quite quickly. I grabbed the front brake (wet tyre); locked it and lost it - fortunately at low speed, so only damage to me was a stubbed toe and some hurt pride, and minor damage to the bike (speedo, scuffing). I also smelled fuel when it was on the ground, but talking to other bikers that seems normal if you drop it.

I had a couple of refresher lessons and my recent tumble was also a good lesson. You're doing the right thing by asking and thinking about what you are doing.

Riding is different for everyone - that's why there's so many different types of bikes. Find what type of riding you're comfortable with and stick to it.

I found the different views on lifesavers interesting - this was the main thing that came back to me automatically when I got back on a bike again. I use them extensively and will continue to do so - it's just part of being aware of what's around you.

one thing concerns me about this thread............

what fkn idiot gave you a pass on your CBT if you cant negotiate a simple pull away manoeuver?

I'm not dissing your riding by any means, but should you really be on the road if you cant do the basic of moves?

Had exactly the same troubles after I got my CBT - we have all been there mate.

Just stick at it and don't give up.

What really cracked it for me was to go somewhere quiet and practice and practice - theres an old power station near where I live and no traffic is around there an I went down there quite a bit to really get used to my bike.

When you are happier, try and get out every single day / night on the roads and slowly but surely, you'll suddenly find yourself in a routine where things are just about second nature.

Keep at it.

should you really be on the road if you cant do the basic of moves?

Everyone has to learn. The CBT is an instruction in basics, currently the system is that you do the CBT, then go and and practise, and maybe take the test if you so wish. My wife passed the CBT without any problems at all, but afterwards her riding just wasn't up to it - she realised it, and she decided the best place for her was on the back of me! Personally I'd have preffered her to keep at it, but that's a whole new thread, along the lines of Lara Croft, mountains and jeeps!

It's a crap system, after all we don't let people out in cars on thier own, should be something similar with bikes, in my opinion. But it's like that, and that's how it is.