petrol destroying the paintwork?

2enjoi2
This post is 5720 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

ive just sprayed my bike and after i filled it up wiht petrol. i got a lil bit on the tank and it obliterated the hard work ide done earlier. i used three coats of laqure...is there something im missing?

any help welcomed,

cheers

david

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

ive just sprayed my bike and after i filled it up wiht petrol. i got a lil bit on the tank and it obliterated the hard work ide done earlier. i used three coats of laqure...is there something im missing?

any help welcomed,

cheers

david

Did you use petrol resistant laquer?

Dont forget paint takes around a week to properly harden

hth

Mike

Has the fule got underneath the paint? This happened on my bike and it was caused by bad preparation around the petrol opening and the fuel got under it and bubbled my lovely new paint job. Its been repaired since, its been rubbed right down around the opening and sealed with JB Weld - and i had a stainless Steel ring made just for added protection.

Nothing is getting under that bugger. You can see on these pictures the damage - and the last one is after repair withthe ring added. :D

DSC00396.jpg

DSC00395.jpg

BILD0156_JPG.jpg

Re-read the tin, did it need a hardener (sometimes called catalyst) adding before use?

Is it designed to be stoved in an oven afterwards to cure?

Is there a cure time shown on the can?

Paul