Weak spark

Dave C
This post is 5707 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Got a problem, bike will start from cold no problem, runs off choke as it warms, revs no problem, then it cuts dead. It will not restart until its cooled down, my first thought was cdi but checked when it cut out and i still have a spark. I have checked the carbs and they seem nice and clean, checked valves for adjustment, coils check out ok.

Just wondering about the spark as to me it looks weak, i generally look for a big fat blue spark but all i am getting is a very thin lined purple one, any gurus out there with an opinion please shout up with any thought on problem.

Oh yeah its a 1985 GPZ600R (sneaked that one in) i know its not a yam but you gotta go where the knowledge is :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

This can happen if vacuum builds in tank, yes!, Can also indicate partially blocking fuel filter, demand is outstripping supply, but if you leave a while carb will fill, can also be something breaking down under temperature on your ignition, you said you checked the coils, check them when it fails!

• 2 weeks later...