Blacking Exhaust / Yamaha Apparel

intersite
This post is 5727 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All!

Got a 56-reg DT125R and the exhaust is starting to get a few spots of rust / bronze spots on it.

I bought some "PJ1 Coatings Fast Black" finish to re-coat it.

Can anyone advise the best way to go about this please? Do I need to remove the exhaust to do the job properly or should I mask the areas I dont want to spray and do it that way?

..and one last thing, I love the style of the following (what look like pretty new) Yamaha items:

'08 Team Gauntlet Gloves

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/apparel/...941/detail.aspx

Yamaha YX-5 Off-Road Helmet (Yamaha Blue)

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/apparel/...719/detail.aspx

Does anyone know if these are available in the UK and if the YX-5 helmet is road legal in the UK?

TIA!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I think you'll find the YX-5 is off road only as it won't have the necessary marks on the helmet to say it's been tested for road use. Fine if you're doing motocross or trailing but just the shape of the helmet is enough for plod to pull you over.

Hi All!

Got a 56-reg DT125R and the exhaust is starting to get a few spots of rust / bronze spots on it.

I bought some "PJ1 Coatings Fast Black" finish to re-coat it.

Can anyone advise the best way to go about this please? Do I need to remove the exhaust to do the job properly or should I mask the areas I dont want to spray and do it that way?

TA!

Yes you need to remove it and give it a rub down with emery or wet & dry depending how bad the rust is, degrease it with something like a wipe down with white spirit, let dry and spray. You will need to do it fairly frequently because riding in our climate with all the rain we get makes short work of exhaust paints.

heres mine I painted this year

05_24_081.jpg

Try useing BBQ paint from most diy stores does the same job lasts as long for half the price. Its kept my DT250MX exhaust tidy for years.

Thats exactly what I forgot to say in my post, I use BBQ paint, its good for 425C, Wilkinsons sell it, made by plasti-kote. :thumb:

Thanks again for the advice.

I re-did the exhaust yesterday and used the "PJ1 Coatings Fast Black" I got off EBay.

Got it down to the bare metal before I coated it. Took me a few hours, but the end result is great.

I recommend the "PJ1 Coatings Fast Black" - seems very good and the finish is superb.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online