starter motor/starter clutch problem??

skullarms
This post is 5719 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys me again!!

So after all my euphoria at finally getting mt TR1 to run, I turned her off, went back to my manual to see what checks i should do, oil pressure etc, went to start her again and got the strangest noise i ever heard, the starter didnt seem to be able to spin the engine, then would huff it over half a turn then make a whiny noise again!

I took off the left cover (i will drain the oil first next time!) and removed the starter, checked the brushes etc, and checked the starter gears and throw lever etc etc, all seemed in place and ok, re-fitted everything and nothing has changed except for now sometimes the starter just spins on its own, doesnt even engage.

I have checked various websites and this seems a common problem, but i'm not a technical man and some of the "fixes" seem pretty detailed.

Does anyone know, in simple terms what I need to do??

Thanks as always for your great help

Andy

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Not totally familiar with the TR1, but this sounds very similar to a scenario I had with my 550 Seca.....ended up being a Starter Circuit cut-off relay.......which I was able to bypass with a jumper wire. ;)

Hi guys me again!!

So after all my euphoria at finally getting mt TR1 to run, I turned her off, went back to my manual to see what checks i should do, oil pressure etc, went to start her again and got the strangest noise i ever heard, the starter didnt seem to be able to spin the engine, then would huff it over half a turn then make a whiny noise again!

I took off the left cover (i will drain the oil first next time!) and removed the starter, checked the brushes etc, and checked the starter gears and throw lever etc etc, all seemed in place and ok, re-fitted everything and nothing has changed except for now sometimes the starter just spins on its own, doesnt even engage.

I have checked various websites and this seems a common problem, but i'm not a technical man and some of the "fixes" seem pretty detailed.

Does anyone know, in simple terms what I need to do??

Thanks as always for your great help

Andy

sounds like the splines, (teeth) are worn and aren't connecting with the flywheel, this is major common on cars, have you checked the teeth to see if their worn down?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online