headlight for xs360

G-man
This post is 5682 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I was looking to replace the bulb for a brighter one on the ole girl, but read in the clymer's manual that only the UK models have replacable bulbs, whereas the US models need to have the whole assembly (bulb/reflector/glass) swapped out??? What sort of madness is this?

Anyways, did anyone try to swap out the bulb on the US model without replacing that whole assembly?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I asked the same question about my 400 Maxim. I doubt you can replace the bulb in a sealed beam unit. I'm looking at getting a headlight assembly from an eBay seller named Rimiinc who runs the Autopal headlight store. I think a universal 7" headlight will drop right into the bucket. Claims the headlight is brighter than stock and uses a replaceable H4 bulb.

I asked the same question about my 400 Maxim. I doubt you can replace the bulb in a sealed beam unit. I'm looking at getting a headlight assembly from an eBay seller named Rimiinc who runs the Autopal headlight store. I think a universal 7" headlight will drop right into the bucket. Claims the headlight is brighter than stock and uses a replaceable H4 bulb.

Not on the stock xs400 headlight, it's something like 6.xx inches. A little smaller than 7 inches and a little larger than the standard 4 light auto headlight.

Until the last 15 or so years sealed beam lights were required by DOT in the U.S.

Until the last 15 or so years sealed beam lights were required by DOT in the U.S.

Really? Hmm, that's kinda funny. And, not haha funny, but rather, hmmm, funny. *scowl on face*

Well then, I guess an option would be to snip off the current sealed bulb doodat, and install a new socket that allows for bulb replacement.

Or...Hey Road Rascal, how much was that ebay dude asking for the replacement assembly?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/55-WATT-H-4-HALOG...14762_10111.jcw

Actually I just found this right after I posted the other link. I will be ordering a setup and testing it out. Not trying to jack someone else's thread, but if it works good on my bike I will be doing my VW with lights from the same manufacturer.

-Bill

Actually I just found this right after I posted the other link. I will be ordering a setup and testing it out. Not trying to jack someone else's thread, but if it works good on my bike I will be doing my VW with lights from the same manufacturer.

-Bill

Hey, and only 19 buckaroos, too. I could swing that, yup yup. Thanks, man!

According to Cy W. the 7" headlights won't fit in the buckets. This is the light I was talking about on eBay:

7" H4 Motorcycle Headlight

For $22 including shipping I'm probably going to try it.

Well, what's the difference, then? Both say it's 7" H4 headlight, except JC Whitney actually states that it would fit a '77 yamaha XS bike.

I'd go with JC Whitney on this one.

According to Cy W. the 7" headlights won't fit in the buckets. This is the light I was talking about on eBay:

7" H4 Motorcycle Headlight

For $22 including shipping I'm probably going to try it.

To use a 7" headlight you would have to change to a 650 or 750 bucket.

Looking at the JCWhitney site shows that it's not in bold, so its not an exact replacement part, just a universal. I get the same headlight when I punch in my 400 Maxim. I'll probably swap out the whole bucket then, what Cy suggests.

Looking at the JCWhitney site shows that it's not in bold, so its not an exact replacement part, just a universal. I get the same headlight when I punch in my 400 Maxim. I'll probably swap out the whole bucket then, what Cy suggests.

That's one option. Another would be to order from JCW, try it out, send it back to them for a full refund if it doesn't fit. That's more than could be said for an ebay purchase, where you'll at least be eating the shipping cost.

• 2 weeks later...

-Bill

Hey Bill, did you ever get that headlight? How'd it work out for you, if you did? By the time I looked into it, the delivery time was over a month. Damn!

Hey Bill, did you ever get that headlight? How'd it work out for you, if you did? By the time I looked into it, the delivery time was over a month. Damn!

I'm awaiting funding at the moment.

I am also mid transit from exiting the Army, so my bike unfortunately it has to wait.

Once I get settled in to my new location I will be ordering it and picking it up as JC Whitney is about a 3 hr drive from my house.

BTW I see your in Chicago, I will be in Rockford, IL for about 2 months while I wait for my documents to process. Let me know if your interested in another XS as I am taking a mid-east contract for 2 years and it will sit dormant otherwise.

[email protected] if interested in acquiring. I'm not too sure what its worth needing a new float and all, but we could defiantly work something out.

-Bill

• 2 weeks later...

I'm awaiting funding at the moment.

I am also mid transit from exiting the Army, so my bike unfortunately it has to wait.

Once I get settled in to my new location I will be ordering it and picking it up as JC Whitney is about a 3 hr drive from my house.

BTW I see your in Chicago, I will be in Rockford, IL for about 2 months while I wait for my documents to process. Let me know if your interested in another XS as I am taking a mid-east contract for 2 years and it will sit dormant otherwise.

[email protected] if interested in acquiring. I'm not too sure what its worth needing a new float and all, but we could defiantly work something out.

-Bill

Hey Bill, I chucked you an email. I know somebody that's interested in your bike (if you still got it).

• 2 weeks later...

Not on the stock xs400 headlight, it's something like 6.xx inches. A little smaller than 7 inches and a little larger than the standard 4 light auto headlight.

If its the 6-3/8 size that was used back then (not sure about Yamaha, but both Honda and Kawasaki used this size), then I found a source from Candlepower in the US that makes a nice replacement refletor with replaceable H4 bulb. The kit comes with the reflector and bulb and can be ordered here: Candlepower Replacement Motorcycle Headlights

They also have other sizes available as well. I took my lens out of the brackets and drew a circle around it, then measured the diameter to confirm the size. It was 6-3/8.

I ordered one for an 82 KZ 440 and it worked great. The dealer wanted something like $65 for a sealed beam that has poor light quality to begin with. This replacement is very bright and was $48. The lens also has the adjustment screw bracket on the back of it (although I did have to tweak it some to fit in my bucket). Now, I only have to replace the bulb (around $10), not the whole unit. :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online