TY250 restoration advice

petwar
This post is 5703 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Why have I never joined this site before!? A while ago I inherited a pair of ty250 twinshocks from a friend who had run out of space. They'd been sat for 10 years and unfortunately one had been landed on it's face and folded the frame. After sorting through the bits I found I had just enough to rebuild one bike. SO... now I'm a year on, have a pretty much perfect motor but the one good frame is in a poor state (crappy paintwork and foot peg snapped off) and I've just about run out of funds for it. Shame.

I'd love to finish it but as time goes on and house moving looms it's looking less and less likely. I guess the question is really how much cash is it worth sinking in to my project? Paint will cost me a fortune to return it to factory fresh and i need my money back so won't be able to keep it when it's finished. Should I cut my losses and break it up?

Or maybe squeeze the torque monster in to my rxs.....two stroke cafe racer anyone?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

well there appreciating at least on this side of the pond, id guess it would depend on how much work can you do yourself on them. they were great bikes.

• 2 weeks later...

hi

unfortunately ty250 are never very valuable (not in the UK anyway, though clearly depends on your interpretation of valuable), say £500 maximum, even less so if they're tatty. So if you're going to sell it anyway, it hardly seem worth stripping it down to paint the frame etc. Why not finish the build, ride it for a year or so i.e. get some pleasure out of it, then sell it?

• 4 weeks later...

hi

unfortunately ty250 are never very valuable (not in the UK anyway, though clearly depends on your interpretation of valuable), say £500 maximum, even less so if they're tatty. So if you're going to sell it anyway, it hardly seem worth stripping it down to paint the frame etc. Why not finish the build, ride it for a year or so i.e. get some pleasure out of it, then sell it?

Keep it. I've had my TY250a for over 20 years and it's been used for everything from Trials to chasing CR and WR's. Cost next to nothing to maintain and you can still get parts for it easily enough.