XVS 650 Exhaust Advice Needed

sdy30
This post is 5664 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

my vance and hines camewith no baffles just straight through and sound loud enough to annoy the neighbours. you can buy baffles seperate that just screw in the end of the pipes but not worth it.

Ok silly question coming up how can I tell if my brand new V&H cruzers have baffles or not ? they are bloody loud...

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

They WILL have baffles in.

There's a screw (allen) behind the rear tip of the exhaust, just unscrew it and pull the baffles out.

They WILL have baffles in.

There's a screw (allen) behind the rear tip of the exhaust, just unscrew it and pull the baffles out.

JEEEEEESUS so the brute can get louder!! LOL, my ears were throbbing so badly after our ride up to Middlesboro` a week or so ago.

Do they go back in just as easily as they come out? I might have to have a listen. Do yours have the baffles in still? Or do you put em in for a long journey and take em out for small trips? Or... do you just wear ear muffs and plugs under your lid :)

JEEEEEESUS so the brute can get louder!! LOL, my ears were throbbing so badly after our ride up to Middlesboro` a week or so ago.

Do they go back in just as easily as they come out? I might have to have a listen. Do yours have the baffles in still? Or do you put em in for a long journey and take em out for small trips? Or... do you just wear ear muffs and plugs under your lid :)

Apparently the V & H baffles are a ballache to refit - but dont take my word for it as its only what i heard.

I dont put the baffles in mine at all. If you think yours are loud now then i would leave the baffles alone - but compared to mine in their current state yours are whisper quiet! Depends on whether you want them loud.

I dont use ear plugs because there is no need - i kinda got used to it now, and to be honest its the vibration that does me head in more than the noise :lol: Long journeys dont bother me one bit as once you hit 70 the noise becomes a lot quieter so its not really noticeable.

But seriously - if you think yours are too loud at the mo - leave them alone.

Apparently the V & H baffles are a ballache to refit - but dont take my word for it as its only what i heard.

I dont put the baffles in mine at all. If you think yours are loud now then i would leave the baffles alone - but compared to mine in their current state yours are whisper quiet! Depends on whether you want them loud.

I dont use ear plugs because there is no need - i kinda got used to it now, and to be honest its the vibration that does me head in more than the noise :lol: Long journeys dont bother me one bit as once you hit 70 the noise becomes a lot quieter so its not really noticeable.

But seriously - if you think yours are too loud at the mo - leave them alone.

i did some good riding over the weekend, they are bloody loud, ye did find the baffles, I am not touching unless someone tells me how to put in something better to quiet them down, according to my OH I have f....up the bike hehe Performace wise I am not happy either after rejetting and putting on the HC the bike seems faster on acceleration but have to shift more frequent, doesn't feel like a cruiser anymore......and yes the vibration is another killer although now at least I am not feeling the terrible vibration on reaching 100k ( kilometers) now it is vibrating all along heheh

Cheers

i did some good riding over the weekend, they are bloody loud, ye did find the baffles, I am not touching unless someone tells me how to put in something better to quiet them down, according to my OH I have f....up the bike hehe Performace wise I am not happy either after rejetting and putting on the HC the bike seems faster on acceleration but have to shift more frequent, doesn't feel like a cruiser anymore......and yes the vibration is another killer although now at least I am not feeling the terrible vibration on reaching 100k ( kilometers) now it is vibrating all along heheh

Cheers

You can get rid of most of the vibrations by syncing the carbs. Make sure you turn the idle up to about 4k RPM when you do synch them that way the bike will be nice and smooth at cruising speeds. If you're not sure how there's a ton of info on the forums at http://650ccnd.com/perf.htm

I built my own carb sync tool from the local hardware store for less than 5 usd. Just make sure you use something like 2 stroke oil so if it gets sucked into the carb you'll be ok.

(best way to get oil into tube.. get 12-15 feet of tubing, stick one end in the oil and suck on the other end till the tube is about 1/4th of the way filled with oil.. then pull it out of the oil keeping that end up suck on the tube till you center your oil on your measuring stick... )

This helps like you wouldn't believe

In addition you can also get aftermarket grips for your bike. I noticed that as soon as I did that my hands stopped feeling like they were asleep after long rides (from the vibrations).

You can get rid of most of the vibrations by syncing the carbs. Make sure you turn the idle up to about 4k RPM when you do synch them that way the bike will be nice and smooth at cruising speeds. If you're not sure how there's a ton of info on the forums at http://650ccnd.com/perf.htm

I built my own carb sync tool from the local hardware store for less than 5 usd. Just make sure you use something like 2 stroke oil so if it gets sucked into the carb you'll be ok.

(best way to get oil into tube.. get 12-15 feet of tubing, stick one end in the oil and suck on the other end till the tube is about 1/4th of the way filled with oil.. then pull it out of the oil keeping that end up suck on the tube till you center your oil on your measuring stick... )

This helps like you wouldn't believe

In addition you can also get aftermarket grips for your bike. I noticed that as soon as I did that my hands stopped feeling like they were asleep after long rides (from the vibrations).

thanks saw it read it but too complicated for me, I guess my mechanic who charged through my nose will have to sort out, albeit i did increase the idle rev a bit and it feels much better.

Hi to All!

I am currently doing research on new exhaust system for my new XVS 650 Classic (which I just ordered:) and am interested in primarily V&H Cruzers as I heard good things on them...However a friend of mine has just ordered Harving exhaust systems from Italy which are more expensive than V&H...I never heard anything on these Harving....are they better than V&H or what?

Please advice

Cheers

james

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Having started this post I thought I'd better give you an update.

I ended up fitting some Roadhouse '65 Specials to my Dragstar 650 custom. The sound is fantastic but it seems very loud. However, reading on this forum, I get the impression that is just because I'm not used to it yet. I have to wear earplugs at the moment. There are baffles and you can get quieter cores - which I'm looking into. However, the sound is fantastic - a really deep rumble.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online