Streetfighting FZR 600

yamahasut
This post is 5678 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am streedtfighting a 1991 FZR 600. I am putting streight bars on and need to ulter the ride height.

Does anyone know which is the best way to do this would it be to jack the back suspension or lower the front end.

Many thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I am streedtfighting a 1991 FZR 600. I am putting streight bars on and need to ulter the ride height.

Does anyone know which is the best way to do this would it be to jack the back suspension or lower the front end.

Many thanks

I so love a good streetfighter thread ;)

Depends what you wanna do. If you wanna bring the seat height up then jack up is the best way and the quickest way. Put shorter dogbones on it - about £15 they are. DONT lower the front end it will throw the whole bike out. My bandit has straight bars on it and the back jacked right up.

bandit1.jpg

Another way is to chop the subframe off, cut it down and weld it back on - or put another subframe on it. Our GSXR project has a cut down R1 subframe on it.

If you want any help/advice drop me a PM - we build fighters all the time. ;)

I so love a good streetfighter thread ;)

Depends what you wanna do. If you wanna bring the seat height up then jack up is the best way and the quickest way. Put shorter dogbones on it - about £15 they are. DONT lower the front end it will throw the whole bike out. My bandit has straight bars on it and the back jacked right up.

bandit1.jpg

Another way is to chop the subframe off, cut it down and weld it back on - or put another subframe on it. Our GSXR project has a cut down R1 subframe on it.

If you want any help/advice drop me a PM - we build fighters all the time. ;)

Hi

Thanks for the info,

Dont see many of them bandit 400's that looks very nice how long did it take

Hi

Thanks for the info,

Dont see many of them bandit 400's that looks very nice how long did it take

Dunno - i didnt do it lol - well - jacked it up a bit and done some "interior" work but thats about it.

The GSXR project we have on the go at the mo has taken about 18 months but thats been due to a lack of time - it will be ready in a few weeks though.

get soem shorter dogbones as mentioned. and move the forks up the yoke about 10mm, will turn in a bit better and ive not had any problems by doing that!

and Goff - Do you have a thread for the gsxr as im interested in seeing project pics?

Regarding lowering the front end - some info for you:

Unless you have an idea of what you are doing I would not recommend lowering the front end at all.

You should NEVER lower the front without lowering the rear. If you just lower the front, you unbalance the bike the wrong way. Many bikes can be lowered by approximately an inch in the front fairly easily by modifying or removing the stock preload spacer. Some bikes come with preload spacers that compress the fork springs an inch or more when the fork is unloaded. Shortening the spacer drops the front end of a bike an amount roughly equal to what you removed from the spacer. But be careful not to go beyond the point where there is minimal pressure on the spring when the suspension is fully extended. If you go beyond this point, your bike will be effectively springless when the front extends completely, as when the front wheel drops into a dip in the road at speed. Not a pretty scenario. In my experience, actually RAISING the front end along with raising the rear of the bike (via an adjustable shock) is a much better way to go, as this increases the ground clearance at both ends and depending on the amount the rear is raised, may also make the "turn in" require less effort.

Some of the common myths about lowering the front end are that it makes the bike turn in faster and loads the front wheel. The bike will not "turn in" any faster by lowering the front, it will turn in "easier", by requiring less effort at the bars to initiate counter steering.

Raising the rear has very similar effects to lowering the front, although as mentioned, it actually increases the ground clearance. Lowering the rear will increase the trail, and increase the effort required to turn the bike. Raising or lowering the rear will also affect traction on corner exit, as it will change the fulcrum point of the chain/swingarm pivot/rear axle relationship.

Typically (but not always, as it depends on several other factors in the geometry and suspension), lowering the rear will increase the bikes ability to "hook up" on corner exit, while raising the rear will increase the bikes tendancy to spin the tyre on corner exit (sometimes referred to as oversteering, although the term oversteering actually can be applied to several handling characteristics).

And heres the post i made about the GSXR project a while back:

Here you go - how it was when we got it:

Originalslingy.jpg

How it looks now, 2 engines later:

Slingy1.jpg

It now has an R1 subframe on it which is being chopped off again and raised up by about 2 inches. Seat unit, frame and mudguards are pearl white. Electrics just been finished. Polished frame, polished casings, nice upside down forks etc etc etc. Cant decide on a headlight though - got 2 at mo, Hayabusa one and a Gilera one - hmmmm.....decisions decisions.

Should be finished by October - just bough a crash damaged Bandit 600 too......next!!! :lol:

• 1 month later...

:offtopic:

Really? If you READ the thread you will see his question was answered.

If you got nothing better to do than troll old threads may i suggest you go do it somewhere else.

Although seeing as you are resurrecting threads as old as this 2004 one HERE it seems all you are here to do is promote your own site - now that is VERY fuckin impolite....... :madflame:

bet u can throw that bandit round the backgrounds

like a 125

i no u can with the gs500's