Type Of Oil For Older Bikes?

junker
This post is 5794 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey I just bought an old '88 FZ600 and revamped it. Needless to say the bike had no owner's manual along with air filters, and no starter solenoid, among others.... I opened the oil plug on top of the clutch cover and saw no shining of liquid of any kind.

I Added Two Quarts of 10W-40, started it, it ran and revved great then i turned it off to go running inside and scream with joy... I strted it again when i was calm and now it has no throttle response, and if anything revs high

and slowly yet steadily falls down to a stall.

Is it the oil i put in? What type of oil does this bike take? How Much should i Put in? If not the oil any tips on what it could be?

(P.S.; I also took the carbs off and cleaned the bowls, floats and jets. But the malfunction did seem to happen right after the oil addition...)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey I just bought an old '88 FZ600 and revamped it. Needless to say the bike had no owner's manual along with air filters, and no starter solenoid, among others.... I opened the oil plug on top of the clutch cover and saw no shining of liquid of any kind.

I Added Two Quarts of 10W-40, started it, it ran and revved great then i turned it off to go running inside and scream with joy... I strted it again when i was calm and now it has no throttle response, and if anything revs high

and slowly yet steadily falls down to a stall.

Is it the oil i put in? What type of oil does this bike take? How Much should i Put in? If not the oil any tips on what it could be?

(P.S.; I also took the carbs off and cleaned the bowls, floats and jets. But the malfunction did seem to happen right after the oil addition...)

Hi

Unlikely to be oil - more like petrol/air problem. check the oil level either with the dipstick or the sightglass though just to make sure there is enough, if the bike has been standing you could be low, and running it for a short while will distribute what there is around the engine. No throttle response would indicate carburettor problem, or air leak at the inlet. certainly that couple with the slow fall to a stall I would strip the carbs again and throughly clean and blow out jets and airways.

hope this helps.

:rolleyes:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online