2001 DT125r 5 gears?

This post is 5489 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ive had my bike for about 3 years now and ridden it on the road for nearly 1 year and I was wondering if it should only have 5 gears? Everywhere I read about DT's people say they have a 6 speed gear box and all the 01 spec sheets I find online say it should have 6.

I am the 3rd owner of the bike and when I bought it had only done about 1500 miles does anyone know if or why it would have a 5 speed box?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ive had my bike for about 3 years now and ridden it on the road for nearly 1 year and I was wondering if it should only have 5 gears? Everywhere I read about DT's people say they have a 6 speed gear box and all the 01 spec sheets I find online say it should have 6.

I am the 3rd owner of the bike and when I bought it had only done about 1500 miles does anyone know if or why it would have a 5 speed box?

On mine (DT175MX) there are numbers 1 to 6 moulded in to the engine casing, why not check to see if yours has?

Hmmmmmmm

ur gear pin might not be seleting it properly,

does ur bike scream when u get to the top end of 5th?

• 3 weeks later...

And does yours say 1 N 2 3 4 5 6 on the case?

You know what I counted the gears on my way home from work yesterday and I've got six... for god knows how long now I thought I had five... Muppet... Although when I get up to 6th it seems to slow down rather than speed up can bring from 60 down to 50...

• 2 weeks later...

You know what I counted the gears on my way home from work yesterday and I've got six... for god knows how long now I thought I had five... Muppet... Although when I get up to 6th it seems to slow down rather than speed up can bring from 60 down to 50...

:rolleyes: I have done exactly the same, maths was never my strong point. About going into 6th gear mate if i am going up a slight incline then (like very slight) the bike will go down to 50mph, mind you it would probably do this in 5th gear as well.

I am when it stops pishing it down here going to pin the PV open and see if the top end is any faster.

• 7 months later...

this is normal the dt is geared to high in 6th gear for performance it is designed for fuel econmy which im not interested in i want POWER!!!! there are ways of getting more power such as getting the barrel skimmed down by about half a mm to increase compression and modding the crap out of it, most power ive had is 47 bhp at the rear wheel but the reliabilty was so poor it was useless it lasted about 3 days before the piston melted. dont go too far with modding its pointless to a point :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online