Front sprocket

Guest DScarfy
This post is 5769 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Guest DScarfy

I’ve just taken ownership of a YZF R6 (06) what a stunning bike, The guy I bought it of said that he had changed the front sprocket so that it was minus 1 tooth. My question is what difference will it have from my wheel speed to my speedo. If I do 30mph passed a 30mph speed camera will it flash?

Thanks Dave

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I’ve just taken ownership of a YZF R6 (06) what a stunning bike, The guy I bought it of said that he had changed the front sprocket so that it was minus 1 tooth. My question is what difference will it have from my wheel speed to my speedo. If I do 30mph passed a 30mph speed camera will it flash?

Thanks Dave

:welcome: to the forum matey.

To answer your question. What your speedo says is what your doing, regardless of what sprockets are fitted....People change sprockets to either have a better top end speed and slower acceleration, or faster acceration with a lower top end speed. The speedo drive on your front wheel goes off the actual wheel itself, very close to the cetre axle, so there will be no change in your actual speed as opposed to your shown speed. The only way your speedo would be mega wrong is if you put bigger or smaller wheels on your bike (Smaller the wheel, the more revolutions, bigger the wheel the less revolutions to cover the same distance.)

Hope this helps.

P

:welcome: to the forum matey.

To answer your question. What your speedo says is what your doing, regardless of what sprockets are fitted....People change sprockets to either have a better top end speed and slower acceleration, or faster acceration with a lower top end speed. The speedo drive on your front wheel goes off the actual wheel itself, very close to the cetre axle, so there will be no change in your actual speed as opposed to your shown speed. The only way your speedo would be mega wrong is if you put bigger or smaller wheels on your bike (Smaller the wheel, the more revolutions, bigger the wheel the less revolutions to cover the same distance.)

Hope this helps.

P

This is not true at all. On the older Cable operated Speedo's it would be true, but on the electronic Speedo's that an 06 R6 would have, changing the sprockets will change actual spped against speedo reading.

If the previous owner changed the front sprocket down 1 tooth then you will be travelling slower for the same revs/same gear combination, and it will have been done so the bike has better acceleration/pickup at the expense of top speed. So if you stick to your speedo yuo know you'll be safe in the limits (unless there's a prob with the speedo)!

This is not true at all. On the older Cable operated Speedo's it would be true, but on the electronic Speedo's that an 06 R6 would have, changing the sprockets will change actual spped against speedo reading.

If the previous owner changed the front sprocket down 1 tooth then you will be travelling slower for the same revs/same gear combination, and it will have been done so the bike has better acceleration/pickup at the expense of top speed. So if you stick to your speedo yuo know you'll be safe in the limits (unless there's a prob with the speedo)!

Sorry, hadnt taken into account of the digital age. :blink: .. :lol: A speedo healer would be a good addon for speedo sake.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online