Help with 1996 SR-125

RobMason
This post is 5760 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all

First post on this forum but ive been reading through the posts for the last couple of weeks, its great!

So..... ive been restoring a SR-125 to use instead of my car now petrol is getting so expensive and im just wondering if anyone knows how to remove the center stand as mine is bent and needs some tlc.

I cant for the life of me work out how to remove it.

Thanks in advance

Rob

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all

First post on this forum but ive been reading through the posts for the last couple of weeks, its great!

So..... ive been restoring a SR-125 to use instead of my car now petrol is getting so expensive and im just wondering if anyone knows how to remove the center stand as mine is bent and needs some tlc.

I cant for the life of me work out how to remove it.

Thanks in advance

Rob

Hi Rob, where ya based ??

Hi Rob

It sould be easy enough. Look under the bike & where the centre stand attaches to the frame you should see either a thick bolt or a tubelar sleeve going through the eyes of the stand & frame. Just undo the nut holding it in place & knock it through to remove. You might have to remove the exhausts to get enough room to get the bolt (or sleeve) out. By the way don't forget to remove the stand return spring before removal

Managed to get the center stand off finally, thanks for the help.

However a new problem has arisen :(

Took the bike round the block to make sure its ready for its MOT and it started drippin oil all over the place, the oil was coming from the drain on the air box. This wasnt a small amount of oil either.

Now recently i put about half a litre maybe a little more of oil in after taking a guess of a reading through the sight glass, if this was too much could this cause the oil coming out of the air box???

I dont know why yamaha couldnt of fitted a dipstick!

Any one have any advice? (ive cleaned it out but it still drips, luckily not as much as before)

Will it settle out when the oil reaches the rught amout?

Thanks

Rob

Managed to get the center stand off finally, thanks for the help.

However a new problem has arisen :(

Took the bike round the block to make sure its ready for its MOT and it started drippin oil all over the place, the oil was coming from the drain on the air box. This wasnt a small amount of oil either.

Now recently i put about half a litre maybe a little more of oil in after taking a guess of a reading through the sight glass, if this was too much could this cause the oil coming out of the air box???

I dont know why yamaha couldnt of fitted a dipstick!

Any one have any advice? (ive cleaned it out but it still drips, luckily not as much as before)

Will it settle out when the oil reaches the rught amout?

Thanks

Rob

Sounds like your crankcase pressure relief valve may be stuck open, either that or there's too much oil in the crankcase, causing excess pressure(hence the oil being blown out into the air box). Check the oil level with the engine cold, if it's been running it takes a bit for the oil to drain back down from the head.

If the airbox is filling up with oil, then the pressure release valve may be jammed open with gunk, thus resulting in oil being blown off into the air box(instead of excess gasses/pressure in the crankcase).

If it's the latter then it may be a bit complicated for you to take the engine apart. I would recommend running it for a while(check the consistency of your oil, it tells you more than you would think about the condition of your engine).

Should you find any water floating around, or gunk then it would be reasonable to assume that your engine is needing cleaned out.

Try running it for a while and changing the oil real regular and see if it goes away(hopefully the fresh oil will get rid of all the crap clogging up the valve), if you're lucky that should save you having to take the blighter apart :).

If in doubt buy yourself a Haynes manual, they may be expensive, but they're worth every penny.

Good luck mate!

Not being funny but £15/£20 for a manual is a great investment when comes to saving an average of £30/£50 per hour on shop service/repair charges. At least most manuals tell you how to do most everything.

Thanks for all the help guys, the oil leak is slowing down everytime i ride the bike, im assuming as the crankcase approaches the correct oil level.

Hopefully my new parts should come tommorrow and i can get it Mot'd.

I agree about the manuals, i got a haynes when i bought my bike, its a great read and helps alot.

Thanks again

Rob

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online