TTR 600, SOME HASSLES

This post is 5770 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys,

I was wondering how many of you with TT600R (i beleive its a 98 lump) have had the same problems that im having.

STARTING, just cant seem to get it to start witout being absolutly PXXXXD off and shattered so much that after all that kicking i domt want to ride it. I realise that there is a knack, but i just cant seem to find out what it is. As the bike was mainly used for off road and the previous owner road regd it it does not have a battery. I had the wiring checked thats now fine. Changed the plug.

When it starts she is great fun.

What are the chances of fitting a starter to it, whats the cost of that?? At present my foot is dying and my knee is nearly dead!!!! :angry::angry:

I really dont want to seel it because i really do want to keep it, but it doesnt look like i will if i cant fire the beast up.

Im also not convinced that decompressor is working, how can i check?

When i first got it i snapped the kicker (previous bloke had welded it). Now got a xs750 one to replace it, any ideas on where to buy another one??? I keep searching the net but nothing seems to be flagged up.

Really would appreciate any help you guys can be, ill also probably be asking lots more questions in time (if i keep it).

Many thanks :o

Chris

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Chris,

I'm not sure if this is going please you, or make you ride the bike into the sea!

I've a TT600RE, same bike almost, but with electric start. Now mine was a bugger to get going and would pretty much drain a battery to get going - once she was going she'd start on a breeze.

I worked out that if I turned the fuel off when I wasn't using her it made starting a bit better - dunno why :huh: but it worked.

Now, a couple of weeks ago I gave here some TLC (not due a service for a couple of months yet) , new fork oil seals, brake pads, new brake fluid, cleaned out the air filter, and I can across an Irridium Spark Plug on Weeebay, so I fitted one of those too.

Now she starts on the touch of the button, every time - even when she's been left out in a <damp> sea breeze all night. I use her for Green Lanes so she does get a bit of a beasting on a weekend.

So, I'm going to go with the new plug that's given her the zest for starting again, mainly because I can't se why some oils seals would help ! :icon_lol:

Chris,

I'm not sure if this is going please you, or make you ride the bike into the sea!

I've a TT600RE, same bike almost, but with electric start. Now mine was a bugger to get going and would pretty much drain a battery to get going - once she was going she'd start on a breeze.

I worked out that if I turned the fuel off when I wasn't using her it made starting a bit better - dunno why :huh: but it worked.

Now, a couple of weeks ago I gave here some TLC (not due a service for a couple of months yet) , new fork oil seals, brake pads, new brake fluid, cleaned out the air filter, and I can across an Irridium Spark Plug on Weeebay, so I fitted one of those too.

Now she starts on the touch of the button, every time - even when she's been left out in a <damp> sea breeze all night. I use her for Green Lanes so she does get a bit of a beasting on a weekend.

So, I'm going to go with the new plug that's given her the zest for starting again, mainly because I can't se why some oils seals would help ! :icon_lol:

Ok mate, cheers for the info, ill get one and see what diff that makes.

cheers again dude

I'm a new TT60R owner too and have had some of the same experiences.

There are a lot of forum posts out there on the starting sequence, when I get a chance over the weekend I'll try and dig them out. In the meantime -

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/yama...ighlight=tt600r

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/sear...searchid=873484

Horizons unlimited seem to eb the best resource I have found.

There is information on checking the decrompressor cable.

In my limited experiences so far (with a well looked after machine that I bought) the bike seems to be very sensitive to set-up. Firstly always turn off the fuel after a ride. I don't know why either but it seems to be easier to start on fresh fuel. You could also try draining the carb bowls.

It seems to be sensitive to mixture. Check out the spark plug. Mine was quite black indicating a rich mixture and the idle speed seemed quite high. I cleaned the spark plug and gap to make sure that the spark has the best chance. I was having all sorts of trouble getting the thing started and getting some serious kickbacks too.

When you do get it going, make sure it is good and warm then turn down the idle speed until it is ticking over nicely at a sensible rev limit. Some of the forum posts go into a bit more detail. I haven't had any problems starting since I made this adjustment and it starts 4th or 5th kick. I have also replaced the air filter with a more free flowing one, butI'm not sure if this was an issue. Next thing I want to do is change the exhaust but I am expecting this to require mixture settings.

What I do for starting is avoid putting on my lid and gloves - no point in getting too hot until you know the bike will start.

Always wear boots. Beware the kickback.

Do not hold the front brake.

Gas on, Choke out.

Slowly kick the bike over (move the piston to TDC) until resistance is felt in the kick start. It will click quite a bit during this and if you have your lid off, you can hear the compression thru the exhaust.

Let the kickstart return to the top and then put your effort into the main kick right through to the bottom.

If nothing after a couple of goes, leave it for a while or flooding may occur.

Let us know how you get on.

I'm a new TT60R owner too and have had some of the same experiences.

There are a lot of forum posts out there on the starting sequence, when I get a chance over the weekend I'll try and dig them out. In the meantime -

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/yama...ighlight=tt600r

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/sear...searchid=873484

Horizons unlimited seem to eb the best resource I have found.

There is information on checking the decrompressor cable.

In my limited experiences so far (with a well looked after machine that I bought) the bike seems to be very sensitive to set-up. Firstly always turn off the fuel after a ride. I don't know why either but it seems to be easier to start on fresh fuel. You could also try draining the carb bowls.

It seems to be sensitive to mixture. Check out the spark plug. Mine was quite black indicating a rich mixture and the idle speed seemed quite high. I cleaned the spark plug and gap to make sure that the spark has the best chance. I was having all sorts of trouble getting the thing started and getting some serious kickbacks too.

When you do get it going, make sure it is good and warm then turn down the idle speed until it is ticking over nicely at a sensible rev limit. Some of the forum posts go into a bit more detail. I haven't had any problems starting since I made this adjustment and it starts 4th or 5th kick. I have also replaced the air filter with a more free flowing one, butI'm not sure if this was an issue. Next thing I want to do is change the exhaust but I am expecting this to require mixture settings.

What I do for starting is avoid putting on my lid and gloves - no point in getting too hot until you know the bike will start.

Always wear boots. Beware the kickback.

Do not hold the front brake.

Gas on, Choke out.

Slowly kick the bike over (move the piston to TDC) until resistance is felt in the kick start. It will click quite a bit during this and if you have your lid off, you can hear the compression thru the exhaust.

Let the kickstart return to the top and then put your effort into the main kick right through to the bottom.

If nothing after a couple of goes, leave it for a while or flooding may occur.

Let us know how you get on.

Hi mate,

Well tried al that you mentioned and it does seem to be doing the trick at last. The thing with the front brake is really valed to, i noticed that it takes some of the power away from the intial spark, think its something to do with the dcu ir cdi or whatever the blackbox is...

Anyway, it has given me some real confidence in the bike now, before i tried what you said i was planning on flogging it. but i can honestly say that wont be happening now. Im going to have it put in for service though to get the valves checked and mixture set up etc, that should make it even more easier.

Thanks for the advice mate,

really did help out. safe riding mate.

chris :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online