Brake Light always on HELP!

Bitripple
This post is 5775 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all

Wonder if someone can advise me. Got pulled over the other day whilst out on my 04 R6 (luckily not by the police) but by another biker who flagged me down.

Basically said that my brake light was permanently on except when i appeared to go over a bump. On closer inspection this is in fact true. The lever appears to be permenantly touching a small metal disc (could be the switch?) that is aprox 5p in size.

Is there an adjustment i can do to the switch or anything?

Any advice appreciated

Rich

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all

Wonder if someone can advise me. Got pulled over the other day whilst out on my 04 R6 (luckily not by the police) but by another biker who flagged me down.

Basically said that my brake light was permanently on except when i appeared to go over a bump. On closer inspection this is in fact true. The lever appears to be permenantly touching a small metal disc (could be the switch?) that is aprox 5p in size.

Is there an adjustment i can do to the switch or anything?

Any advice appreciated

Rich

Sounds like your rear brake lever switch is sticking. Not sure what your bike looks like, but the switch on them are similair. Where the switch is, is usually hidden behind the footpeg plate, it it adjustable, they have metal or plastic nuts that screw up or down. Adjust as necessary. If its the front one, it may just be the switch sticking. WD40 works a treat here. Just a little spray onto the switch to free it up.

Post a pic to help us understand where and what.

thanks for the quick reply. Its defo from the lever rather than rear brake and does not appear to be sticking. The lever and the sensor appear to be making light contact therefore putting the lights on (even though not applying any braking). If you push the lever forward slightly it disengages the contact and lights go off?

May drop by to Brackley Yamaha tomorrow and see what they say. Will post a pic tomorrow.

Cheers though

On closer inspection, my bike has some cheap after market levers that are not pressing the switch in correctly that turns on and off the brake light.

Rang Yamaha today to enquire about factory original brake lever and they wanted £50!!!

Can anyone recommend some after market levers that will not be loads and loads that actually fit properly?

TIA

On closer inspection, my bike has some cheap after market levers that are not pressing the switch in correctly that turns on and off the brake light.

Rang Yamaha today to enquire about factory original brake lever and they wanted £50!!!

Can anyone recommend some after market levers that will not be loads and loads that actually fit properly?

TIA

I've had this problem on a number of bikes & rather than replace, check the return spring is fitted in the lever. though if they're aftermarket the levers might not have them fitted but check anyway. the other way round it is adjust up the space.