1983 yamaha 650 motor froze

grm
This post is 5778 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i have a 1993 yamaha 650 max, it has been setting in a inside storage for over 20 years. when it was put up the motor was not stored right. it only has 1400 miles on it. i am trying to get it to run again. the problem is it seems to be froze up. i have pulled the plugs and put mystery oil in the cylinders with no luck. i have pulled the starter and carbs also. i can not find any where on the motor where i can use a wrench to break the motor lose. i try to bump it in gear to see if it will turn over but that dosen't seem to work. i can't imagine it is frozen that bad. any advise would be appreciated. i prefer not to pull the head if possible. thanks in advance. grm

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i have a 1993 yamaha 650 max, it has been setting in a inside storage for over 20 years. when it was put up the motor was not stored right. it only has 1400 miles on it. i am trying to get it to run again. the problem is it seems to be froze up. i have pulled the plugs and put mystery oil in the cylinders with no luck. i have pulled the starter and carbs also. i can not find any where on the motor where i can use a wrench to break the motor lose. i try to bump it in gear to see if it will turn over but that dosen't seem to work. i can't imagine it is frozen that bad. any advise would be appreciated. i prefer not to pull the head if possible. thanks in advance. grm

try a socket on the end of the bolt that secures the generator, this should turn it over but i suspect the rings are seized to the bores and you would be better off removing the top end and doing and inspection and renewing the rings and possibly the valve stem seals too. good luck, wick